20 mph speed limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
But at the same time, if anything is growing at an exponential rate, that just means any function with an exponent > 1.

Now you are confusing loose English with the mathematical definitions. In maths that is not the definition of exponential, though for a simple layman they may think that.

For instance by your sentence above, below would be exponential growth but it is not

092602.jpg

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
You might want to check the definition of "exponential".

Cambridge University dictionary seems to think that x cubed is an exponential function.

They're also wrong

roubaixtuesday

Yes it is.

Exponential just means that the rate of increase keeps increasing.

So even a square function is exponential, never mind a cube function.

No, it doesn't. This is absolutely wrong mathematically.

Many functions display an increasing rate of increase.

A simple square function does.

An exponential displays a constant doubling time.

Eg 1,2,4,8,16,32,64

A square function would be

These both have positive and increasing rates of increase.

Only the first is exponential.

These are basic mathematical definitions.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
No cubic means the max power will be three but powers of 2 or linear may also apply. For instance y = x ^ 3 - 16x^2 + 235x - 42 is cubic and somewhat different to y = 12 ^ x

Was confused by the word "max" but I see what you mean now in the context of a polynomial equation.

Agree on "exponential growth" too; as you say different from simply having an exponent

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Actually you are quite right!
I was muddled up

My degree is maths and these sort of things I should post in the thread on things that irritate you… 😁

Alex321

Veteran
Now you are confusing loose English with the mathematical definitions. In maths that is not the definition of exponential, though for a simple layman they may think that.

For instance by your sentence above, below would be exponential growth but it is not

View attachment 707108

The English usage is not always the same as the mathematical usage, and this is one case of that.

roubaixtuesday

Is there any feedback from Welshielands about how this 20mph speed limit is going?
Has the country ground to a standstill?
Have billions been received into the Cymru coffers as a result of all these fines?
Are there riots on the streets?

Every other 20mph change of this type was popular before implementation and even more popular afterwards.

Regardless of whining by loudmouthed petrolheads

Alex321

Veteran
The incorrect use, as you demonstrated

Only incorrect when talking in Mathematics.

Perfectly correct when talking in English.

Various dictionaries agree, but presumably you will claim they are also incorrect, and don't know the English definition of words.

Go to a technical or scientific dictionary, as opposed to a normal English one, and the mathematical definition will be there (as is the case in my copy of Chambers Dictionary of Science and Technology).

Top Bottom