20 mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All reads perfectly sensibly to me. I guess it'll have more impact on our Welsh brethren.

https://www.gov.wales/introducing-20mph-speed-limits-frequently-asked-questions#91814
1707595499330.png

I'd say that less than 1% of drivers know that rule.
There's no way you could run a TT in a 20 zone without coming under investigation if there's a traffic incident.

I'd say that less than 1% of drivers know that rule.
There's no way you could run a TT in a 20 zone without coming under investigation if there's a traffic incident.

Your probably right about less than 1% but that's the 'Welsh Brethren' (or at least their governments) FAQs on their 20mph limit. We'll have to see how it plays out but on TTs I've done I've never seen an incident in a 20mph zone but I've seen a few unfortunately on faster roads, all to the rider's expense and anything which pushes TT's to them IMO is stupid.

From the linked article:

However, in a letter sent to its districts in November, CTT urged its members to “ignore any such suggestion” from “some websites [that] state speed limits do not apply to cyclists”.

[ & @Brandane ] it's poorly worded, but they're not saying the law applies to bikes; they [the CTT] are saying WE are going to apply the limit on OUR events.

Like me saying "Ignore Seevio, HE says the earth is flat!" . The earth's flatness - or lack thereof - isn't actually the important point :P

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's the same as traffic lights, really - you can't run a TT with them on the course. I wonder what percentage of courses are actually affected?

albion

Guru
Close to zero I imagine. Even 30mph limits will be very rare.

viniga

Guru
Based in Scotland and my local club 10 route is getting tricky, originally using lanes and country roads it has gradually been swallowed up by housing developments with associated traffic calming measures and pedestrian crossings. There are alternatives but they are dwindling in number. As you move out of the central belt the road network is more limited and bypassing short 20mph sections difficult or even impossible. The direction of travel here seems to be that only one or 2 suitable courses will exist in any local area which are now being shared by all clubs. These are, generally speaking, on faster roads often dual carriageways.

So, I fully understand the reasons for this and with the wording CTT are allowing some discretion so races could still take place on courses that include 20mph zones but overall I fear for the longevity of the sport on the open road.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If the lights are just for a ped crossing you can. Just FYI!
Even that sounds inadvisable. You'd really need to put a marshal there to ensure riders stopped at a red light. I suppose riders can also be held up at roundabouts and other junctions, but riders have more chance of anticipating those to avoid a complete stop.

Top Bottom