20 mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We organise both TTs and road races that have 30mph limits along the courses, as well as pedestrian lights.
Many years ago I was driving the lead car for a race, a two man breakaway behind me. There was a long downhill into a short 30 limit. Two policemen were standing at the cross-roads. I slowed, but anxious that the riders were rapidly catching me. The police gestured to me to speed up, so I did.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Are there any rules from the same body that mandate the use of a speed detecting device? Of course using a cycling computer is pretty much guaranteed by the competitors but is it a requirement? If not, how does one guarantee to be at or below any given speed? And where is the cut-off? Is it 20 exactly by some calibrated organisers’ speed trap? Is it 10%+2 according to the advice for prosecution limits? Who measures and oversees speeds in these sections? And to what standard?

Even that sounds inadvisable. You'd really need to put a marshal there to ensure riders stopped at a red light. I suppose riders can also be held up at roundabouts and other junctions, but riders have more chance of anticipating those to avoid a complete stop.

Maybe ... The course isn't all that far from you, A4 at Woolhampton just past Newbury. Take it up with the organisers (or District) as they've run dozens (hundreds?) of events through that crossing :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Are there any rules from the same body that mandate the use of a speed detecting device? Of course using a cycling computer is pretty much guaranteed by the competitors but is it a requirement? If not, how does one guarantee to be at or below any given speed? And where is the cut-off? Is it 20 exactly by some calibrated organisers’ speed trap? Is it 10%+2 according to the advice for prosecution limits? Who measures and oversees speeds in these sections? And to what standard?

Speed cameras aren’t cheap

• The blue 'next generation' handheld cameras cost in the region of £10,000 each

Sharky

Guru
It's the same as traffic lights, really - you can't run a TT with them on the course. I wonder what percentage of courses are actually affected?

This takes me back to about 1967, when I was marshalling in our inter-club's 100 mile TT. I was on the corner of the East Lancs Road and the Rainford bypass. When we saw a rider approachimg and the lights were red, we had to jump up and down on the rubber sensor strip, to try and make them change to green.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
This takes me back to about 1967, when I was marshalling in our inter-club's 100 mile TT. I was on the corner of the East Lancs Road and the Rainford bypass. When we saw a rider approachimg and the lights were red, we had to jump up and down on the rubber sensor strip, to try and make them change to green.

Early seventies I rode an evening 25 which passed through the village of Ongar. There were temporary traffic lights which were ignored by virtually everyone on the outward leg, causing a few irate residents to phone the Old Bill. On the return journey a marshall had been stationed there, flagging down everyone when the lights were red as a police car was sitting at the other side of the lights noting riders numbers if they misbehaved. A reasonable number were not only prosecuted but got a six month ban on top from the RTTC.

Harsh, but fair I suppose.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Maybe ... The course isn't all that far from you, A4 at Woolhampton just past Newbury. Take it up with the organisers (or District) as they've run dozens (hundreds?) of events through that crossing :smile:
My parents used to live there (well, half a mile up the hill)!

mustang1

Guru
Caveat: I haven't read all of the article. Ps: actually I read a few lines and that's it.

Having said that, are these TTs occuring on closed roads in an organised event? If yes, then speed limit should not apply. If yes, then speed limit should apply. But then there are other considerations too like promoting racing on the road although one could go into all sorts of holes there (should we stop runners having a race too?).

Anyway, what about if those Formula 1 cars come along to central London like they did some years ago. There was no 20mph zones back then but there certainly was a 30 limit! Bwahahaha.

Top Bottom