20 mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Having said that, are these TTs occuring on closed roads in an organised event? If yes, then speed limit should not apply. If yes, then speed limit should apply. But then there are other considerations too like promoting racing on the road although one could go into all sorts of holes there (should we stop runners having a race too?).
They are generally on open roads.

And speed limits (as applicable to bicycles) do apply - as in there are no limits beyond any the organisers may impose.

And since there is no requirement to have any way of measuring your speed, it is hard to see how they can require you to stick to a certain speed.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've read about the history of cycling sport in Britain and I seem to be seeing a parallel. According to wiki "The National Cyclists' Union (NCU) had, since the end of the 19th century, banned racing on the roads, fearing the police would ban all cycling as a result." That ban was what brought time trialling (which the NCU also banned link) into existence.

There's something of an echo in that here: “Riding at that speed [20-30 mph] is capable of causing public outrage [...] Such conduct could cause the government to review the existing permission for time trials to take place on public roads"

There's something of the same attitude here: "we'd better ban ourselves before they ban us". Significant? Maybe not.

I don't doubt that they're in a tricky position with the wider introduction of more 20mph limits. They're probably right that TTing through 20mph limit zones could result in angry rants on social media ... sorry, "public outrage". And riding at a speed faster than that permitted by vehicles could potentially be dangerous - eg more overtakes needed, greater likelihood of speed bumps, chicanes etc. Whether this is an existential threat to TT-ing or whether its paranoia, I have no idea. But putting a speed limit on time triallists is ... weird. This bit, at least, is sensible: “any course which incorporates a section with a 20mph limit should not be used if a suitable alternative is available”

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
You’ve not been following have you? There are no speed limits for cyclists on an “open road”.

No I haven't, but I do know about the no limits /open roads thing.

But in this case, since it's an organised event which implies there will be a lot of cyclists riding fairly close together, I have erred on the stance of it's better to respect, if not obey, the speed limits for organised events.

I suppose one could also say it's not the law to wear helmets yet in an organised event, if the rules are to wear a helmet, then you gotta wear a helmet. Maybe they have a rule that bikes must be UCI regulated, idk. But they've decided to go with the 20mph thing.

classic33

Leg End Member
How many of the 20 signs, in the area covered, are undersized.

300mm(It was 297mm) minimum size means the speed limit can't be enforced by the police if the signs are smaller than the legal minimum.

The councils may put the signs in place but it's up to the police to enforce it. Two "popular" camera spots now no longer used due to improper signage.

Alex321

Veteran
How many of the 20 signs, in the area covered, are undersized.

300mm(It was 297mm) minimum size means the speed limit can't be enforced by the police if the signs are smaller than the legal minimum.

The councils may put the signs in place but it's up to the police to enforce it. Two "popular" camera spots now no longer used due to improper signage.

That depends again on where you are.

30 limits in England, 20 limits in Wales don't technically need signs, they can be enforced even without them.

Fast moving vehicles being the hazard and the vulnerable being stupid hence the speed limit

Nonsense. You've just made that up. Luckily these things are (usually) evaluated in the real world (away from internet forums where anyone can post any old nonsense) using evidence. You're entitled to your opinion, but don't expect it to be the deciding factor. Hence:
"MING-the-M: Motor vehicles being the hazard as any look at the accident stats will tell you. "

Top Bottom