20 mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
No I haven't, but I do know about the no limits /open roads thing.

But in this case, since it's an organised event which implies there will be a lot of cyclists riding fairly close together, I have erred on the stance of it's better to respect, if not obey, the speed limits for organised events.

I suppose one could also say it's not the law to wear helmets yet in an organised event, if the rules are to wear a helmet, then you gotta wear a helmet. Maybe they have a rule that bikes must be UCI regulated, idk. But they've decided to go with the 20mph thing.

Organised yes, but close together, no. Drafting not allowed, riders off usually at 1minute intervals. Not an organised race against others, but a personal race against the clock. CTT rules

Last edited:

ukbabz

Über Member
In Oxfordshire there has been a big push to change the speed limit in a lot of built up areas to 20mph, whether it warrants it or not. This has lead to a number of events being cancelled and courses now being taken out of action.

It's going to lead to doing TT's on roads with higher speed limits which won't appeal to a lot of riders and drop participation. A daft ruling in my view

In Oxfordshire there has been a big push to change the speed limit in a lot of built up areas to 20mph, whether it warrants it or not. This has lead to a number of events being cancelled and courses now being taken out of action.

It's going to lead to doing TT's on roads with higher speed limits which won't appeal to a lot of riders and drop participation. A daft ruling in my view

Can you give me an example of an Oxon course that would be sensible to use, due to an "unwarranted" 20mph limit? You are welcome to DM me!

ukbabz

Über Member
Can you give me an example of an Oxon course that would be sensible to use, due to an "unwarranted" 20mph limit? You are welcome to DM me!

I'm struggling to find them on the CTT as a number of courses I know my local club have run aren't on there. One course that used to have the code CC273 (according to Strava segment) which goes through North & South Moreton is one that I've ridden (my only TT event).

Also https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/course-details/hcc118 is a 20mph through Cuxham and I believe plans to do similar around Charlgrove if they haven't already (I can't remember the last time I rode). Also the turnaround point at the roundabout is in 20mph zone (but probably would get exemption for that one as unlike to be faster on the 180.

According to a BBC article (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-67736424) 234 out of 310 parishes in Oxfordshire are in the process, or have applied, to have 20mph limits in place.

Edited to add a concern I have for rules like this being pushed by CTT is that it reinforces the idea that speed limits apply to cyclists. Which they do not, but will do nothing to help with the impression that exist in the wider media.

Last edited:
Edited to add a concern I have for rules like this being pushed by CTT is that it reinforces the idea that speed limits apply to cyclists. Which they do not, but will do nothing to help with the impression that exist in the wider media.

I get your point, but IMO time trials are such a niche, almost underground activity that I can't worry about this. (and the CTT have made muuuuuuch worse decisions - directly affecting public perception - just since COVID, I can assure you ... )

Last edited:

Big T

Guru
This could be the thin end of the wedge. In Wales, It basically means you can’t run a TT on a course that goes through any sort of settlement, as that will likely have a 20mph limit. If this were extended to England, it would knock out most country lane TT courses. Locally to me, there are at least 3 club 10 courses and 1 25 course that go through villages that would become unusable. The Police aren’t keen on us using main roads (letter from our local constabulary advises us not the use the A1, A52 or A46). So if we can’t use main roads and we can’t use roads that go through a village because it has a speed limit, then that doesn’t leave much else.

We have already had to move our club 10 course 3 times, because the council put up permanent traffic lights up on junctions and it’s under threat again because of road junction changes. This could mean the end of Time trialling or at least vast time trialling deserts in some areas.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
CTT are doing the only thing they can do. Whatever your opinion of bikes and speed limits, cyclists bombing through a 20mph residential area at up to double that would cause a public outcry.

Being allowed to hold competitive cycling events on the public highway is something that should not be taken for granted.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I certainly wouldn't want to get hit by me on a bike doing 20+ mph

Me neither, but given the choice I'd rather be hit by 80kg doing 20 than by 1500kg or close to twice that for a Chelsea tractor, never mind a bus or lorry.

In the same way I'd be less worried by being hit by a ping pong ball than a cricket ball

Top Bottom