2010 Lejog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Ok now i am doing it.My wifeyhas said i can have the time off.We have two girls still at school.So please get you heads in gear.And suggest some routes.Please anything considered.We have plenty of time ro refine this .I have also posted this request on the CTC site.not to forget i will be 60.So not too many hills.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I love the fact you're so excited two years in advance!! Just think, two years to build up the mother of all spreadsheets - I'm so excited for you!!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I can only suggest one route - ours! (Keep clicking, it has maps in, and you can enlarge them).

It's hard to avoid hills in Devon and Cornwall, and there are some hilly bits of Yorkshire - but you'll be ready for them by then.

From what I've seen of your riding, you've nothing to worry about, fitness wise - your posse gave me a run for my money when we met and you've got twenty years on me!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
postman said:
Ok now i am doing it.My wifeyhas said i can have the time off.We have two girls still at school.So please get you heads in gear.And suggest some routes.Please anything considered.We have plenty of time ro refine this .I have also posted this request on the CTC site.not to forget i will be 60.So not too many hills.

There's only one route to ride and that's your own.

When I did LEJOG I'd purchased the CTC LEJOG pack with three suggested routes and bought a LEJOG book with its own suggested route. In the end I ignored the CTC's and the book's suggestions and used a felt tip and a Philip's motorists atlas to plut a route that incorporated places that I wanted to visit such as the beam engine at Levant in Cornwall, the cycle museum at Camelford, Cheddar Gorge, the Older Severn Bridge, Hereford cathedral for the Mappa Munday, Ludlow, Shrewsbury, through NW conurbation onto Preston through Lake District past Windermere and Grasmere, Carlisle, Gretna, Thornhill, Erskine Bridge, A82 past Loch Lomond, Fort William, Inverness, east coast, Wick JOG. There's lots of opportunity to fill in the gaps in different ways and making the ride your own.

There's more routes than you can shake a stick at here:
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~ianclare/links.htm

There's nothing to be afraid of in terms of hills. Devon and Cornwall's lumps are all manageable with suitable gearing. My bottom gear was 18" but I rarely had to use it.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Cathryn i am exited.I love working things out on bits of paper and planning.I was the leader of a great bunch of people at Leeds Mail Centre for ten years.Known as The Royal Mail Leeds Cycle Club.And i have a great bunch of mates well four of us exactly.Who were so sorry that i could not go this time.

Well I set off for my LEJOG this Friday morning and I am currently wondering whether it was a good idea as it is looming rather large! I keep telling myself it's fine because we've been doing lots of training (which we have). I'm trapped somewhere between utter excitement and total dread.

We have taken a longer route which goes east of the pennines so it has a nice long flat section in the middle. The average miles per day will be around 75, and I just plotted the whole thing in tracklogs. The route goes:

LE to Bodmin: 64.8 miles
Bodmin to North Tawton: 54.8 miles
North Tawton to Street: 74.6 miles
Street to Cirencenster: 72.9 miles
Cirencester to East Haddon: 67.2 miles
East Haddon to Lincoln: 81.5 miles
Lincoln to York: 84.4 miles
York to West Auckland: 75.7 miles
West Auckland to Kielder: 70.3 miels
Kielder to Eskbank: 71.1 miles
Eskbank to Perth: 65.6 miles
Perth to Kingussie: 75.6 miles
Kingussie to Alness: 71.9 miles
Alness to Lybster: 61.6 miels
Lybster to jOG: 37.4 miles
New arse please!!

Cathryn and Postman I'll just add that the spreadsheets were half the fun! I do it for all my tours. I guess it's (no longer) my guilty secret...

Cathryn said:
I was wondering where you were, Kirstie me love! Thought you might have gone already!!

Spreadsheets rule...I can't bear to delete my Europe trip's spreadsheet.

Do you have a spreadsheet for every eventuality/route combo (i do :wacko:)?

Aw anyway nice to know someone missed me - last week I was on a proper hol with my other half in Scotland. He goes off to work at the olympics tomorrow for a month so I was spending some quality time with him. Donna and I are setting off on Friday am for Penzance. When we were racing our team name used to be 'Saturday Night Beaver', and so this tour is now christened 'Saturday Night Beaver take on a long one' :sad:

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Get this VERNON and POSTMAN a.k.a. MRS DOUBTFIRE on the CTC site.Live in the same street.Seperated only by some lovely trees.And odd and even numbers.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
Do you have a spreadsheet for every eventuality/route combo (i do :wacko:)?

Aw anyway nice to know someone missed me - last week I was on a proper hol with my other half in Scotland. He goes off to work at the olympics tomorrow for a month so I was spending some quality time with him. Donna and I are setting off on Friday am for Penzance. When we were racing our team name used to be 'Saturday Night Beaver', and so this tour is now christened 'Saturday Night Beaver take on a long one' :smile:

I had a couple of stretches with various options in case it went wrong. I love planning :sad:

Lucky Other Half going to the Olympics. What's he going to do? Compete????

Loving the team name as well.....getting tshirts done?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
postman said:
Get this VERNON and POSTMAN a.k.a. MRS DOUBTFIRE on the CTC site.Live in the same street.Seperated only by some lovely trees.And odd and even numbers.

I think we should have Leeds get-together at some point. There are too many of us around to not say hello.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
I'm ok with that plan.But have to count all of August out.Schoolhols and such like.A ride out and some food sounds good.

Tynan

Veteran
it doesn't look too far broken down into 75 mile blocks

post Dunwich Dynamo I thought I was well and truely cured or wanting to do longer rides but getting the itch already

are you doing it with a tent and pots and pans or with a list of b&bs?

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Spoke with David a little while ago.He was looking out over Loch Lomond.It could be a different route than this one CTC YHA OPTIONS.But it would be YHA accom,which they have enjoyed.I will know more once i have had a long chat with them.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Cathryn said:
I think we should have Leeds get-together at some point. There are too many of us around to not say hello.

Sounds good to me. I'm out of action for the next fortnight as I'll be in Crete with my familiy. I also hope to slot in another mini tour upon my return.

Chatting to Postman left him astounded that I have such a long leash when it comes to being out on a bike and made me realise how lucky I am to be able to get out every weekend and to be able to tour whenever an opportunity presents itself.

Top Bottom