2016 Cycling Goals & New Year's resolutions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I've already posted it elsewhere but I'm in for Ironman Staffordshire and Ironman Bolton for 2016.

I'm hoping its ''make" and not "break", and that the family enjoy it. I know I won't.

My goals for this year are
  • Get a new bike, one that is actually the right size for me - probably the Bianchi Intenso
  • Cycle at least 5000 miles
  • Visit some hills (im in the fens, so there aren't any here)
  • Complete the C2C in June (which includes aforementioned hills)
  • Lose 2 stone so that im down to 12st (im 6ft tall)
  • Get to a level of fitness where I can commute to work twice a week at least (36 miles each way - so should help towards the 5k miles)
  • Get involved in the local club rides.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
My Cycling year 2015 in one word "JADED"
Nearly all my rides were on the same route straight to work and back!
Basically the same as every year since 2009 when I started riding again! (Eddington Score of 34 for 3 years on the bounce)
By September I was totally fed up with riding!
So 2016 I intend to make sure it doesn't happen again. No two commutes in a set of shifts will be the same and I intend to get out with one of my local clubs when Rest Days allow!
At nearly 50 I think it's time to test myself too. So local TTs here I come.
A Sportif or 3 maybe!
Want to top 500 miles a month - 6000miles - so will have to do some long rest day miles too!

Last edited:

busdennis

Veteran
increase my annual mileage to 7000 miles (500 more than this year)
PB at 10 and 25 mile TT
complete the Yorkshire section of 100 greatest climbs
mount ventoux
Honister Pass
coast to coast in day

GravityFighter

Über Member
Posting this here to log my 2015 achievement and measure myself during '16.

As this is my first year riding with no set goals, I'll take 443 miles. I didn't log every ride on Strava and it doesn't include an average of 2 spin classes each week.

Aim for 2016: 1,000 miles minimum, including an imperial century and 50,000 feet of climbing. Will be interesting to revisit this in 12 months' time!

ETA: I'm currently 11st 10lb and and estimated 19% BF. If I can get down to 11st 7lb and 15% BF next year I'll be pleased!

Thought this thread was worth updating.

Since the above, I've hit just over 1,300 miles and will complete a 100 mile ride in September. Currently 11st 8lbs too. Not sure whether I should be pleased that I've achieved my aim, or if it just shows I wasn't being ambitious enough :-)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Get my hip replaced, lose some of the weight I've put on, and cycle 5000 miles - both of those ambitions thwarted in 2015 due to that hip :cursing:
Unlikely I'll attain 5000 this year either - up to 1208 miles just before going in for hip replacement op on July 8th. Hope to be back on the turbo soon, but unlikely to be counting road miles again for anothe 6 weeks or so. 5000 miles next year maybe?
Got the hip fixed anyway!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well, I've decided to go for the imperial century a month challenge, which will be a real stretch in the winter months. Maybe a 200k Audax or two in the summer. I have a holiday just before the Tour de France in which we are planning to ride one or two of the stage routes. There's a full calendar of FNRttCs. Work permitting I'm aiming to keep the Brommie in play with commuting rides. And later in the year is the rather ill judged decision to try to ride one Godwin (205.6 miles, thread here) but the more I think about that, the more I think it's likely to be beyond me ... a man's got to know his limitations.
Still on track. Not been able to commute due to work circumstances, but 8 months of centuries, and the Godwin are in the bag so far.

Top Bottom