FNRttC 2017 Dates for Friday Night Ride to the Coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
chad-jpg.2667.jpg

Wot. No Brighton?
The hatlers have a particular (and understandable) soft spot for the Brighton ride. We'll miss it this year but I will work on making sure that we will be available for the 2018 version.

Meanwhile, in other news, I have been identified by mini-hatler's Explorer troop as 'just the chap' to lead an overnight Explorers' ride from HPC to Brighton. I better start trawling through previous FNRttC posts looking for a GPS link for the 'classic' route.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
What's your "thing" ? We live in the same neck of the woods it's fairly easy to get home either by the smrbth or trains if I don't feel like riding back I've got the train back to Victoria then cycle over to Paddington or have ridden back home from London when the weather was exceptionally nice :sun:

Just get real uncomfortable in unknown places. Probably be ok with a group so should just man up.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Just get real uncomfortable in unknown places. Probably be ok with a group so should just man up.

Ah right sorry to pry thought you meant logistics. They are all good people mate I'm not a fan of meeting new folk either but the luxury of these rides is you can ride along side someone from a completely different walk of life and find you have quite a bit in common with them. You can also take 15-30 mins to yourself just following the red light in front of you and just take in your surroundings. It's definitely something to experience imo.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The word is easy enough to lose. The bloody great lump of sandstone in the way is slightly more tricky.
"In the way" isn't strictly true. "A better alternative than the housing estates and abandoned factories of the seafront" might be.

srw

Insurance: If you are not already a Cycling UK member, then you are covered by our own insurance policy for ONE ride. (After that, you must have third party insurance cover in place, whether via Cycling UK, London Cycling Campaign or British Cycling.)
Obvious question, which I'm sure someone is itching to ask - does this mean that the club insurance rules have changed? The old understanding of the insurance policy was that there was that after a short "guest" period, the only acceptable insurance was via CTC/Cycling UK membership. Which, I have to admit, didn't make sense from a risk management perspective.

Happy to take offline, or simply accept that the answer is "yes, the insurers/CUK have changed the rules".

srw

Shoreham is a better version of Brighton - it's identical up to the halfway stop and the breakfast place is far better. In the sense that there's a distinct lack of sitting in a gale as gobbets of freezing water hurtle into your sausage and beer is available in the warmth of a comfy chair three paces from the breakfast table.
Sausage? I don't remember a sausage in Brighton. I remember a tube of rusk with some sort of meat-like flavouring.

Obvious question, which I'm sure someone is itching to ask - does this mean that the club insurance rules have changed? The old understanding of the insurance policy was that there was that after a short "guest" period, the only acceptable insurance was via CTC/Cycling UK membership. Which, I have to admit, didn't make sense from a risk management perspective.

Happy to take offline, or simply accept that the answer is "yes, the insurers/CUK have changed the rules".
The rules have not changed. We now have a much clearer idea of how much latitude is given to Affiliate Groups in how they administer the rules. Simon did it one way. We tried it a slightly different way last year. Administratively that was a headache and did nothing to forestall questions or help provide answers. We hope the new Fridays policy (which is still within the rules that were there all along) will make life simpler for everyone.

ETA: There is one aspect that is "new", at least to us. (It may have been this way all along, in any case, we now understand it where we didn't, clearly, before.) And that is: Anyone taking out Cycling UK Affiliate membership naming The Fridays as their affiliated club must have already joined The Fridays and paid their annual subscription. Until they pay their subs, their CUK membership is not valid/in force. In practice, CUK aren't going to police this. But if someone claims rights under their CUK membership (e.g. insurance claim? legal assistance?) and we are unable to confirm that they are a current paid up member of The Fridays, then the game is up.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm still working on a route, so hold off on the travel plans, but the finish will be with five miles of a mainline station on the Swansea - Paddington line. There's a branding issue to bear in mind, you know... :whistle:
That's good enough for now.

So one of Newport, Cardiff Central, Bridgend, P'talbot Neefan Swansea. (I'm an ex-GWR user so that bit of found poetry is etched in my memory)

StuartG

slower but further
Meanwhile, in other news, I have been identified by mini-hatler's Explorer troop as 'just the chap' to lead an overnight Explorers' ride from HPC to Brighton. I better start trawling through previous FNRttC posts looking for a GPS link for the 'classic' route.
Might this also provide a classic wayfinding opportunity for Fridays suffering withdrawal symptoms?

Last edited:
Top Bottom