FNRttC 2017 Dates for Friday Night Ride to the Coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
The rules have not changed. We now have a much clearer idea of how much latitude is given to Affiliate Groups in how they administer the rules. Simon did it one way. We tried it a slightly different way last year. Administratively that was a headache and did nothing to forestall questions or help provide answers. We hope the new Fridays policy (which is still within the rules that were there all along) will make life simpler for everyone.

ETA: There is one aspect that is "new", at least to us. (It may have been this way all along, in any case, we now understand it where we didn't, clearly, before.) And that is: Anyone taking out Cycling UK Affiliate membership naming The Fridays as their affiliated club must have already joined The Fridays and paid their annual subscription. Until they pay their subs, their CUK membership is not valid/in force. In practice, CUK aren't going to police this. But if someone claims rights under their CUK membership (e.g. insurance claim? legal assistance?) and we are unable to confirm that they are a current paid up member of The Fridays, then the game is up.
Just to be totally clear. If I join the Fridays then all I have to pay on top with CTC/ Cycling UK is £24 individual affiliate membership?

http://www.cyclinguk.org/membership...cling-clubs-and-groups-of-all-types-and-sizes

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Just to be totally clear. If I join the Fridays then all I have to pay on top with CTC/ Cycling UK is £24 individual affiliate membership?

http://www.cyclinguk.org/membership...cling-clubs-and-groups-of-all-types-and-sizes
Yup.

hatler

Guru
Might this also provide a classic wayfinding opportunity for Fridays suffering withdrawal symptoms?
Ooo. That would be very welcome but given that it will be a bunch of older Scouts and Explorers I think the pace may be a little slow, even for seasoned Fridays. I reckon we'll be aiming to be in Brighton by midday.

Also there will likely be fewer than 20, so wayfinding opportunities will be limited. There again, it would be a good way for proto-ride leaders to develop their skills (and I include myself in that number).

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Have today put in the leave forms for York-Hull & Swansea-?. I have the May Day week off already so that's Bristol-Barry covered. The Pompey audaxing contingent know about Hayling, sure there will be a good turn out of locals :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The Ride Leaders decided to take the Classics and put them on an biennial schedule. This year we've got Southend and Whitstable, each x2. Plus revisiting a few of last year's inaugural routes. Plus some brand new ones. Mix it all up a bit. Brighton, it was felt, gets lots of attention without trying too hard.
Yebbut, Brighton has Ditchling. It's like a pilgimage akin to running with the bulls at San Firmin. OK, if you screw up you just get off and walk rather than having a bovine horn embedded in your femoral artery. Is it too late for another Brighton run?

Yebbut, Brighton has Ditchling. It's like a pilgimage akin to running with the bulls at San Firmin. OK, if you screw up you just get off and walk rather than having a bovine horn embedded in your femoral artery. Is it too late for another Brighton run?
This year... officially... I think the answer is yes, it's too late. The crucial factor is dates / ride leader availability. Not just for the ride but for the reccies, both in daylight and at night. Because FNRttCs don't run without thorough reccies.

hatler

Guru
Sausage? I don't remember a sausage in Brighton. I remember a tube of rusk with some sort of meat-like flavouring.
Someone ahead of me in the queue worked out the best way round this one: a bacon, egg and hash brown bap. Two of them hit the spot nicely.

Reactions: srw

hatler

Guru
I think if nothing else there will be an unofficial Brighton run....there are certainly enough spare weeks for it.
If there is, I'd probably be up for that (availability dependent obv). We could even do the sphincter-clenching HPC start as well. I rather enjoy that (but I'm not responsible for the group's safety).

Last edited:
This year... officially... I think the answer is yes, it's too late. The crucial factor is dates / ride leader availability. Not just for the ride but for the reccies, both in daylight and at night. Because FNRttCs don't run without thorough breccies.
FTFY
Food is but a by-product of a ride - don't be so fussy everyone. Greg at The Madeira = mamorable, even when dispensing ice creams, as m'learned expert @Tim Hall knows only too well.
Hall esq
2dbjvyh.jpg

M'dear uh...
2crx5c9.jpg

But, to be frank, The Madeira can be daylight robbery at times...
34zztzt.jpg

Happy riding!

Attachments

• 2dbjvyh.jpg
    2dbjvyh.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 2crx5c9.jpg
    2crx5c9.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 34zztzt.jpg
    34zztzt.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 53
U

User10571

Someone ahead of me in the queue worked out the best way round this one: a bacon, egg and hash brown bap. Two of them hit the spot nicely.
I'm reasonably confident that could've been teh Pippa. It was her tip to me when dining at this esteemed establishment.
Bacon (well done, to be safe) and hash browns, inna bap - a winning combination.

Last edited by a moderator:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If there is, I'd probably be up for that (availability dependent obv). We could even do the sphincter-clenching HPC start as well. I rather enjoy that (but I'm not responsible for the group's safety).
I like the HPC start too, but I can quite see why ride leaders might not, given the responsibility. Hyde Park Corner at midnight is good for a blast of adrenaline. OK, not quite as powerful as this, but it's still good fun.
[media]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nS_aR8XX_U
[/media]

Top Bottom