2019 Structured training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The IF is fine, that includes the low intensity periods as well. For vo2 workouts it is typically 0.85 to 0.95 so @Heltor Chasca's if actually slightly higher than usual.

So about 7.5 mins at slightly about VO2 Max per block of intervals and three blocks. I restrict myself to no more than 15 mins max at that level during a workout. But I don't know how often you do that workout in your current training phase.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The IF is fine, that includes the low intensity periods as well. For vo2 workouts it is typically 0.85 to 0.95 so @Heltor Chasca's if actually slightly higher than usual.

So about 7.5 mins at slightly about VO2 Max per block of intervals and three blocks. I restrict myself to no more than 15 mins max at that level during a workout. But I don't know how often you do that workout in your current training phase.

That is the first and only time I have done that workout. It is in the second last week of their ‘General Build Low Level’ programme. After last night, it’s not one I would like to do often! https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/plans/154-general-build-low-volume

As for TR’s definition of IF:

Intensity Factor - IF®

This is how intense a ride is. A ride with an Intensity Factor of 1.0 would equal an all out effort for an hour. If you did an hour at .8 IF that means it was about an 80% effort.

TrainerRoad has the Intensity Factor of each workout specified. This helps you gauge the difficulty of each workout.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
That is the first and only time I have done that workout. It is in the second last week of their ‘General Build Low Level’ programme. After last night, it’s not one I would like to do often! https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/plans/154-general-build-low-volume

As for TR’s definition of IF:

Intensity Factor - IF®

This is how intense a ride is. A ride with an Intensity Factor of 1.0 would equal an all out effort for an hour. If you did an hour at .8 IF that means it was about an 80% effort.

TrainerRoad has the Intensity Factor of each workout specified. This helps you gauge the difficulty of each workout.

If 1.0 is working at your FTP steady state for an hour. You clearly can't do VO2 Max for t an hour. Short recoveries helps adaption to be be able to do repeat all out efforts before fully recovered. Not too specific to Audax but helps maximize VO2 Max potential so good for short sharp bursts / hill climbs. Can be good early in the season as you are doing.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
If 1.0 is working at your FTP steady state for an hour. You clearly can't do VO2 Max for t an hour. Short recoveries helps adaption to be be able to do repeat all out efforts before fully recovered. Not too specific to Audax but helps maximize VO2 Max potential so good for short sharp bursts / hill climbs. Can be good early in the season as you are doing.

Absolutely. I am not sure any of the programs are perfectly suited to Audax, but that’s ok. I use the turbo for general fitness, strength and to keep weight as near to my optimum as I can.

That said, my cycling ability and comfort on Audax events have helped my personal enjoyment so much more since I have been on the turbo. A lot of the TR workouts include little drills, like pedal stroke, single leg work, one leg work, aero work and out of saddle drills. I really have learned a lot from them.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Absolutely. I am not sure any of the programs are perfectly suited to Audax, but that’s ok. I use the turbo for general fitness, strength and to keep weight as near to my optimum as I can.

That said, my cycling ability and comfort on Audax events have helped my personal enjoyment so much more since I have been on the turbo. A lot of the TR workouts include little drills, like pedal stroke, single leg work, one leg work, aero work and out of saddle drills. I really have learned a lot from them.

If the hard hill is no harder than what you have managed on the turbo it helps a lot. Mentally you know what's coming and you know how long you can keep going at that level. But you still need to do the lower intensity stuff and work all the different bits of your physiology.

huwsparky

Über Member
If the hard hill is no harder than what you have managed on the turbo it helps a lot. Mentally you know what's coming and you know how long you can keep going at that level. But you still need to do the lower intensity stuff and work all the different bits of your physiology.
WTF are you talking about? How on earth does what you can manage on a turbo after an hour even compare to what you might have to do after 10+ hours in the saddle if you're doing a 300 audax or whatever :laugh:. This page is absolute gold. I should call back more often.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
WTF are you talking about? How on earth does what you can manage on a turbo after an hour even compare to what you might have to do after 10+ hours in the saddle if you're doing a 300 audax or whatever :laugh:. This page is absolute gold. I should call back more often.

You are able to go faster for longer at lower heart rates using more fat for fuel as a result of the adaptions your body makes to the training. All excellent adaptions for Audax.

Because how fast you can get up a hill is generally determined by your Vo2 Max and threshold power vs. weight. Ten hours of riding does not change that. The turbo time we were discussing increases vo2max to your potential. As does the other turbo work on threshold to lift FTP.

If you only ride at low intensities preparing for your audaxes fine, but I find a mix of specific high and low intensity works far better and requires less time.

Ive scheduled in an FTP test for Friday. Tuesday normally my preferred day but I a social.
I ended up doing the FTP test last night, its what I thought. Since a medical event last Feb I've been getting better balance but an chronic Iron deficiency hid its benefits for 6 months or so and I've been bouncing back since but the previous test was only a month after that and I've improved significantly and put on a couple of kilos (hopefully muscle). Not something I want to repeat but I might have got my muscles used to running on low oxygen during that months :whistle: To cut a long story short my best FTP is up from 4.3w/kg to 4.5w/kg (295w) :okay:

mgs315

Eurgh. Tour de Zwift finished so FTP time, up to 256W (3.75w/kg).

Question is what training plan on Zwift will be best? 4 week FTP builder, 12 week ‘Build me up’ or Gran Fondo? My main event this year is Tour of Flanders sportive with a fair load of 100mi+ rides scattered around summer.

Eurgh. Tour de Zwift finished so FTP time, up to 256W (3.75w/kg).

Question is what training plan on Zwift will be best? 4 week FTP builder, 12 week ‘Build me up’ or Gran Fondo? My main event this year is Tour of Flanders sportive with a fair load of 100mi+ rides scattered around summer.

Its a lot of short hard power climbs at the end if you are doing the full one, that continuously if your doing any of the shorter ones but I no idea which would be best in Zwift for that as I don't use the app but good luck :okay:

mgs315

Its a lot of short hard power climbs at the end if you are doing the full one, that continuously if your doing any of the shorter ones but I no idea which would be best in Zwift for that as I don't use the app but good luck :okay:

Yep doing the 174km (no need to do the longer one as it’s only flat riding plus we’ve quite a few km to get to the start anyway). Ok cool I’ll probably just do FTP build and tailor it for 5 min power before the event.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

When is the sportive and what are your weaknesses? I know plenty of people who are fast for the first 3/4 hours then they crash and burn. How is your endurance, does it need work? The old expression train your weaknesses, use your strengths has some merit. Again don't use Zwift so do not know what programs they have to match your needs.

Edit - meant to reply to mgs315

Last edited:

mgs315

Aye endurance is my shortcoming at the mo. Got a fair few rides up to about 100mi planned but wanted to complement it with a decent indoor program whilst the weather is a bit crap.

Sportive is in April.

Last edited:
Top Bottom