2019 Structured training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep doing the 174km (no need to do the longer one as it’s only flat riding plus we’ve quite a few km to get to the start anyway). Ok cool I’ll probably just do FTP build and tailor it for 5 min power before the event.
I did the long one in 2013 but as you say its flat and boring for the first bit of a pain logistically. I had to go to bed early get up at 3am and cycle 20miles to Oudenarde whilst my mates doing the 134 km all got drunk. Subsequent years I've did the 134km with them and enjoyed it more :okay:

I am hopefully seeing the benefit of my structured training and I've bounced back relatively quickly annus horribbilis. The last few rides I've felt like I could sit again in the sweet spot zone (75%-85% max HR) for a good period of time and up it when I've needed too. Whereas, last year I was hitting the wall near 80% :okay:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Final week of active recovery in my Build Phase on TR. I think I’ll do the Climbing Road Race in Speciality Phase next. They recommend a week or two more of active recovery before starting this. I chose the climbing program purely because there’s a good mix of sustained aerobic work, but it’s also peppered with interesting sprints and other fun looking interim drills.

I have noticed that my heart rate drops between 3-5 BPM when I use the aero bars. I assume this is because there is more of my body in a lower position , so there is less effort involved for the heart to pump blood around. Would that be right?

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Final week of active recovery in my Build Phase on TR. I think I’ll do the Climbing Road Race in Speciality Phase next. They recommend a week or two more of active recovery before starting this. I chose the climbing program purely because there’s a good mix of sustained aerobic work, but it’s also peppered with interesting sprints and other fun looking interim drills.

I have noticed that my heart rate drops between 3-5 BPM when I use the aero bars. I assume this is because there is more of my body in a lower position , so there is less effort involved for the heart to pump blood around. Would that be right?

Hard to say, you are more aero, so less effort to maintain the speed you were doing? If you have a power meter you could try pedalling at the same power in different positions and see what the heart rate does. Maybe something to try on turbo to start?

My coach set my FTP to 304w (4.7 w/ kg) and I really felt it after last night's (Tuesdays) session. My heart rate /perceived effort seems to be corresponding better though. Must still, a day later, have the adrenaline flowing round my system, I can't sleep. Tomorrow's (Thursday ) session will be interesting if I can get away from work in time. If not it'll be an unstructured commute.

Nebulous

Guru
Five weeks from yesterday is my first audax of the year. I still haven't done another ftp test, but zwift has increased their estimate of my ftp. It has gone 200 (test) -> 218 -> 224 -> 235 since early December. Weight stubbornly refusing to shift. Working away and some family meals haven't helped, so I've only lost 1kilo since Christmas.

On the positive side I'm working more consistently than I've ever done. I've done at least 4 sessions a week since early November, generally 5. I do one workout which is 80 minutes at 70% of FTP and even though the wattage has increased as my FTP has increased my average heartrate is still the same, with less upward drift towards the end.

Going to try to build up distance / time now over the next two weeks, hopefully with some decent outside rides. Did 2 hours on the turbo yesterday, which is my longest indoor session yet.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Five weeks from yesterday is my first audax of the year. I still haven't done another ftp test, but zwift has increased their estimate of my ftp. It has gone 200 (test) -> 218 -> 224 -> 235 since early December. Weight stubbornly refusing to shift. Working away and some family meals haven't helped, so I've only lost 1kilo since Christmas.

On the positive side I'm working more consistently than I've ever done. I've done at least 4 sessions a week since early November, generally 5. I do one workout which is 80 minutes at 70% of FTP and even though the wattage has increased as my FTP has increased my average heartrate is still the same, with less upward drift towards the end.

Going to try to build up distance / time now over the next two weeks, hopefully with some decent outside rides. Did 2 hours on the turbo yesterday, which is my longest indoor session yet.

I prefer repeatable tests rather than estimates. Gives me a solid belief in the intensity of the intervals in the workouts I am doing.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
First workout tonight with new FTP values. Next phase of training as well so durations / intensities have gone up. Managed hold it , really tough, but doable. New max heart rate hit tonight. Recovery tomorrow which coincides with dentist, so nicely fitted together.

Only annoying bit was I found out the turbo roller was too loose on the wheel after I had done the warm up. So recalibrated turbo and restarted workout with some more warm up time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Well yesterday's effort has put my resting HR and HRV in the red according to my App. It is what I thought and it is recommending recovery today. Just what I had planned. So an easy walk at lunch time it is, once dentist out of the way.

Top Bottom