2019 Structured training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How long you had a coach and how has it changed your training?
Since I started structured training. 2015 I think I joined him for his Mallorca 312 trip. I think before I never really trained, I just rode (I did do club training rides but more for the company). A change in my work patterns saw me stick with it (no time for mid week rides other than commutes). I saw big leaps in my TT'ing subsequently which also helped me stick to the plan. I guess I ride less (though probably still too much :laugh:) but get more focused sessions in which deliver results :okay:

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Delayed my intervals after long ride last weekend. Now caught up and ready for a nice long ride to meet a mate at country pub tomorrow. Maybe first time in shorts this year.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
V02 Max work this morning before the day warmed up. I am not great working out at those levels if it is warm. Hit all the numbers at lower max heart rates than previous weeks, so a sign that my V02 Max is climbing. I have also found the option to get Golden Cheetah to estimate the power for my long rides where I do not have a power meter. Means my TSB figure includes these rides and I can get a better idea of whether I am overdoing it, rather than just having a bit of residual fatigue. Charts were not reflecting how I felt (after the long rides), but now they are. Just over a week till my next recovery and testing week. Had to shift the workouts around recently to get adequate recovery from long outdoor rides I am now doing. Managing to hit the overall intensities and volume in the plan. Happy so far with progress.

Also read an interesting study last night where they were monitoring changes in the body following high intensity workouts. They found that the body continues to make adaptions for up to 5 days after high intensity workouts and then you need to do some more high intensity to keep it going. That makes sense of what I have read elsewhere that you can maintain certain fitness markers with a short high intensity workouts once or twice a week but you need to do more than that to improve fitness.

Last edited:
I don't think that rest week done me any good. I ended up 15w down on my previous FTP and 23w down on my best 20 min . I completely paced it wrong an found my self sprinting when it was too late :-\ A bit of a uncomfortable stomach before I started but I think my lack of motivation and bad pacing were bigger factors :sad:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I don't think that rest week done me any good. I ended up 15w down on my previous FTP and 23w down on my best 20 min . I completely paced it wrong an found my self sprinting when it was too late :-\ A bit of a uncomfortable stomach before I started but I think my lack of motivation and bad pacing were bigger factors :sad:

Rough. Start again next week. I’m new to this whole structured training and used to take my FTP tests seriously but I discovered if I made everything as ideal as possible (resting a day or two before, hydrating, fuelling, room temp, nice shorts etc) I was just conning myself the actual training would be the same.

So now I just get on with it regardless of life’s vagaries. Sure I would be happier with a higher FTP number but then I would just compromise the quality of my workouts for 8 weeks. Before when I have achieved a higher FTP than would be normal, I have found myself dialing back the intensity of a workout in ERG mode by up to 20% because it’s just too hard. Once or twice I haven’t been able to finish a workout. I would rather complete the workouts with efficient pedal strokes, by breathing properly and doing the drills gracefully. Better this than thrashing about like a fish at the bottom of a boat.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I am not entirely sure training is supposed to work like that. Well mine doesn’t at least, but then we may be training for different purposes.

Good luck with your plan :okay:

I am mindful that I want to instill good pedal, breathing and drill techniques. If I am on the cusp of blowing up and simply ‘surviving’ the workout, I’m not going to be concentrating on quality training.

That’s how I view it for my purposes. How do you suggest traning works?

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I am not entirely sure training is supposed to work like that. Well mine doesn’t at least, but then we may be training for different purposes.

Good luck with your plan :okay:

Depends, if you are consistently failing to complete your workouts then I would say your intensity settings are wrong. Mentally if I consistently failed to complete the workouts then I would be a bit demoralised. If you fail only occasionally then the intensity is probably about right.

I generally know during the warm up whether it is happening for me or not. If I think I need another recovery day then I will bin the intervals and do a lower intensity endurance day. Then try the high intensity stuff a day later. So far I am managing yo hit my prescribed workout each week. My power outputs are rising steadily, so it is working for me.

mattobrien

Guru
I am mindful that I want to instill good pedal, breathing and drill techniques. If I am on the cusp of blowing up and simply ‘surviving’ the workout, I’m not going to be concentrating on quality training.

That’s how I view it for my purposes. How do you suggest traning works?
Training for me works on the basis I do whatever has been set for me by my coach. No ifs, no buts, just get on with it and do it.

Not having to think what to do or whether I am up for it is great, it removes the can I be bothered or do I feel up for it, I just have to do it.

Sadly the Velominati website is down currently soho can’t exactly quote which rule it is, but the theme is free your mind and your legs will follow.

Tired legs are just electrical signals sent to the brain, if you can ignore it, then you’d be surprised what you go on and do.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Smashed my VO2 Max intervals out the park today which suggests it has risen substantially since the intensities were set. End of this week I enter a recovery and retest week. Looking forward to finding out what my new power numbers are. Then I move into the next phase of my training.

Nebulous

Guru

tom73

Guru
Well after finishing 1st ftp builder and with stuff getting in way for most of last week. I thought right no getting away from it so just down 1st ftp test boy I felt it. lord knows what next door think with all the arrrr's going on :laugh:. Came down stairs looking a total reck looking for some word of support. Mrs 73 took one look and said I've no sympathy your choice to do it. Thanks darling :wub:

Ended with 190 don't know to be happy or not.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Well after finishing 1st ftp builder and with stuff getting in way for most of last week. I thought right no getting away from it so just down 1st ftp test boy I felt it. lord knows what next door think with all the arrrr's going on :laugh:. Came down stairs looking a total reck looking for some word of support. Mrs 73 took one look and said I've no sympathy your choice to do it. Thanks darling :wub:

Ended with 190 don't know to be happy or not.

It is your start point. Now after another four weeks you can test your FTP again to see how much it has improved by. If it does not improve then you review the workouts and amount you are doing. Don't forget VO2 Max intervals as well as that will create more headroom for your FTP to climb into.

Top Bottom