2020 Structured Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Due to the current restrictions, for once, I have a structured training plan. I've enrolled on the 12 week Build me Up plan on Strava, coupled with zoom turbo session once/twice a week with my club, should hopefully see me through this lockdown. I'm hoping that by the time club runs resume in July, I can keep up with the mid-group 2 groups (currently back end of group 2). I also ordered a power meter today, so hopefully that can dial in the training a little more as well.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I do my higher intensity session tomorrow night, a pyramid session stepped up ok last week but found it harder to step down last week after a rest period. It was a lower intensity session today and Wednesday stepping up again on Thursday.

Good luck. I might put mine up slightly next week and see how it feels. But not training for anything so it might also stay where it is. I’ll decide on the day.

SWSteve

Guru
I’ve just enrolled in the TT builder on Zwift to keep myself having some structure to training this and a along run/interval run around the cycling should help to have some level of duathlon/triathlon prep other than not being able to swim

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
An easy rest week for me this week but after reading this I might reduce my intensity in future too:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/s...qNY7R9UA_wzo9xS_mAA6h_UkvEXyv1tsEPBjKeM5b843M

I hadn't read that but I've reduced my high intensity sessions down to once a week. I've also reduced the intensity of the intervals by 12%. They are now about 90% of my aerobic capacity. The rest I'm doing in upper zone 2 on the chart in the article you linked. My zone 2 volume is holding steady mostly as a result of some outdoors and some on the turbo, and something done every day. Normally it'd be increasing it right now. So far based on the data coming out of the workouts this seems to have stablised my fitness where it was. I'm not getting fitter or losing fitness but holding steady till it looks like the lockdown may ease , and there's something to train for (all my events cancelled or delayed till 2021) .

This Strava chart demonstrates how April compares to March. The big jumps in March are 200km audax rides before lockdown. April (orange line) is tracking pretty similar for hours to March but it is more steady day to day and a mix of turbo and outdoors (rather than primarily outdoors with big rides chucked in as before).

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ross Tucker (I know some people are allergic but I find him interesting) did a video recently about immune response and exercise. To briefly sum up - on the basis of various studies he cited:

* Exercising is better for your immune response than not exercising.
* High levels of exertion are worse for your immune system than being sedentary
* Your immune system may remain suppressed for a period after extreme exercise
* What "high levels" and "extreme" are will vary person to person, but note he was thinking in terms of running a marathon.
* He was citing studies that showed a tendency for people to get more bugs after running a marathon, but noted that the act of doing the marathon itself could cause that by making infection more likely (eg being with crowds, travelling) rather than actual immuno suppression.
* In short: don't overdo it.

Video here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jos43qMak0

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Ross Tucker (I know some people are allergic but I find him interesting) did a video recently about immune response and exercise. To briefly sum up - on the basis of various studies he cited:

* Exercising is better for your immune response than not exercising.
* High levels of exertion are worse for your immune system than being sedentary
* Your immune system may remain suppressed for a period after extreme exercise
* What "high levels" and "extreme" are will vary person to person, but note he was thinking in terms of running a marathon.
* He was citing studies that showed a tendency for people to get more bugs after running a marathon, but noted that the act of doing the marathon itself could cause that by making infection more likely (eg being with crowds, travelling) rather than actual immuno suppression.
* In short: don't overdo it.

Video here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jos43qMak0

It'd look interesting if they did a look at infection rates outside of mass participation events. So does someone running 60 miles solo a week get more infections than someone running 30 miles solo a week etc?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It'd look interesting if they did a look at infection rates outside of mass participation events. So does someone running 60 miles solo a week get more infections than someone running 30 miles solo a week etc?
Yes. At least he was honest about the confounding factors. Problem would be getting hold of enough data of good enough quality to be significant. I wouldn't necessarily expect a regular 60 mpw runner to be more susceptible to a regular 30 mpw runner. Just that if either upped their intensity to what is for them extreme then they would be more susceptible. But hey - I know nothing so that's probably cack.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Tried RGT but it lost connection with smart trainer and session after 50 mins. It didn’t manage to save what I’d done. Not impressed though I was enjoying the real roads circuit up till then.

Managing to keep hours in line with March just about by shorter but daily riding in April.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don't know what it is about RGT but it done things like that for me at first but its now very stable :okay:

I have been running both the screen app and cycling app on iPad. Maybe that is issue. Will install cycling app on phone and see how that works out. Just checked and it appears to have not lost the session. It auto saved it 30 mins after it lost connectivity. So had to edit out 30 mins of virtual me not moving.

Did the Paterberg circuit this first time out. Will try the Stelvio next.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ive been running it on Android with the screen om a Win 10 laptop and its been stable. But I've not used it much. Only one session as long as an hour.

Top Bottom