235 miles a day for a year (Amanda Coker Challenge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To my mind, Kajsa's record is different to Amanda's due to the drafting and one bike regulations.

Quite, Guinness should have kept both, but they're an organisation focused more on sensationalism than on nuance. The very fact that they even considered changing the rules on Kajsa several months into her attempt makes it pretty clear that they're more interested in simplicity than fairness. They retrospectively changed the cycling round the World record rules too - pretty shabby in both cases.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A tough week for Steve. His lowest (Mon-Sun) week so far at "only" 200.7 miles per day. Which gives you a hint of how hard a challenge this is. It has knocked his overall cumulative rate to below 221 miles per day.

Edit: I note that Steve only logged 5 hours riding yesterday. It's possible there are still more miles pending upload for last week. I've not been following his tracker so I'm not sure.
Second Edit: Having looked at the tracker data, no it doesn't appear that there is more to come.

Steve's stats as at 11 Jun 17
Days: 100 (27.4% of year)
Dist: 35,470 km / 22,040 mi
Avg daily dist: 354.7 km / 220.4 mi
Avg daily elevation (Strava): 1,526 m / 5,008 ft
Moving speed (Strava): 25.7 km/h / 16.0 mi/h
Hours per day riding: 15.4
Projected total at current daily rate: 129,465 km / 80,446 mi
upload_2017-6-12_10-0-24.png

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
From the evidence available it looks as though Steve recorded less than 100 miles yesterday, and for no particularly important reason I'm quite sad about that. I don't believe anyone has gone through a year recording a century each day - certainly Godwin, Searvogel and Coker didn't - but I doubt it featured very high on Steve's list of objectives, if at all. Never mind!

On the other subject discussed above, I think Guinness's single critical error of judgment was getting involved with overseeing Kajsa's attempt in the first place. Once they'd done that, the saga was never going to end tidily. I'm sure they decided a long time ago that no-one was ever going to be allowed to repeat what Kajsa did under their jurisdiction, and it made sense to retire the record. Kajsa's achievements, in all their detail, are a matter of historical record and that is far more important than any words that might appear in a lightweight publication.

When you think about it, having embarked on a doomed ship, Kajsa has done exceptionally well out of all this. She got everything she ever wanted from Guinness, and she always knew she wasn't likely to set a mark that would stand for long. And she seems to have the beginnings of a successful second career. You can never know what would have happened, but it's hard to imagine that she would be doing this had she gone with UMCA.

Guinness have damaged their reputation; Kajsa is untarnished by any association.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
From the evidence available it looks as though Steve recorded less than 100 miles yesterday, and for no particularly important reason I'm quite sad about that. I don't believe anyone has gone through a year recording a century each day - certainly Godwin, Searvogel and Coker didn't - but I doubt it featured very high on Steve's list of objectives, if at all. Never mind!
Just checked the tracker data at frrt.org and it would appear that you are right. A non-century day. This also means I'll have to adjust the axes of some of my graphs. How inconsiderate!

On the other subject of KT, and Guinness etc, you have summed up my thoughts on it almost exactly. So I won't add anything.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
A tough week for Steve. His lowest (Mon-Sun) week so far at "only" 200.7 miles per day. Which gives you a hint of how hard a challenge this is. It has knocked his overall cumulative rate to below 221 miles per day.

Edit: I note that Steve only logged 5 hours riding yesterday. It's possible there are still more miles pending upload for last week. I've not been following his tracker so I'm not sure.
Second Edit: Having looked at the tracker data, no it doesn't appear that there is more to come.

Steve's stats as at 11 Jun 17
Days: 100 (27.4% of year)
Dist: 35,470 km / 22,040 mi
Avg daily dist: 354.7 km / 220.4 mi
Avg daily elevation (Strava): 1,526 m / 5,008 ft
Moving speed (Strava): 25.7 km/h / 16.0 mi/h
Hours per day riding: 15.4
Projected total at current daily rate: 129,465 km / 80,446 mi
View attachment 356791
Maybe my local McDonalds gave him a dicky tummy xx(

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I think he is probably suffering from major wind problems, but probably not those caused by eating McD.s! :whistle:
Ha ha yeah probably, he did say it was great in the Fens with the wind behind you cruising at 25 mph, I guess you have to turn round some time. One of the reasons he comes through Suffolk round my way is because it was quite sheltered he said.
I have to say I felt like announcing to the restaurant clientele " do you know who this is, it's only Steve fecking Abraham" as no one gave him a second look! But he's such a quiet reserved humble guy (from my brief meeting) I don't think he would have approved! I feel privileged to have met him and had a brief chat to be honest.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sunday was not just Steve's first sub 100 mile day. It was also his first sub 200 km day. So that's interrupted his uber-RRTY

He's bounced back with a 235 and a 238 mile days on Monday and Tuesday. So whatever the reason was, it wasn't serious.

It was also day 100 which may or may not mean anything. He's just released another youtube update, but I've not had time to view it yet.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I expect we've all wondered at one time or another "Is Steve a werewolf?" and wondered whether we should head to MK and shoot him with a silver bullet.

Well, in possibly my most stupid graph yet, I've plotted the variance from daily average against the fullness of the moon.

upload_2017-6-14_12-22-59.png

If Steve was a werewolf then we would see a high variance, either positive or negative (depending on whether werewolves are good at riding bikes)* in mileage corresponding to the full moon at the right hand side.

We don't see this so we can conclude:
  • Steve is not a werewolf, or maybe
  • Steve is a werewolf, but it doesn't affect his mileage.
Note that I've not factored in whether his rides were undertaken at night. It could be that only night rides near the full moon are affected, but I haven't explored that possibility.

On the basis of this I've made the decision not to go and shoot Steve with a silver bullet.

* I'd expect it to be negative, but you never know.

Edit: I've got positive and negative the wrong way round on the above graph. Not that it really matters.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've got positive and negative the wrong way round on the above graph. Not that it really matters.
Oh, but it does. I flip that graph and cluster some bars and see an overperformance during the new moon and an underperformance during the full moon.

Further investigations required, I think.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Oh, but it does. I flip that graph and cluster some bars and see an overperformance during the new moon and an underperformance during the full moon.

Further investigations required, I think.
Hmmm. Really it's an overperformance in the first quarter
upload_2017-6-14_13-9-10.png

Maybe Steve is a hitherto undocumented kind of werewolf?

Top Bottom