235 miles a day for a year (Amanda Coker Challenge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tatr

The problem is that shooting him with a silver bullet proves nothing.

My recommendation as a highly remunerated management consultant is to shoot him with a *normal* bullet.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Hmmm. Really it's an overperformance in the first quarter
View attachment 357102

Maybe Steve is a hitherto undocumented kind of werewolf?
He is at his weakest as the moon is waning, and at his strongest as it is growing. Some kind of werewolf derivative?

swansonj

Guru
Nice try but I think we're looking for specifically calculus jokes here.

E to the x and a constant were walking along the street when they saw a differential operator coming. The constant ran away. "Why so scared?" asked e to the x. "Because I'm a constant and if he catches me, there'll be nothing left". "Well, I'm an exponential, he'll have no effect on me", said e to the x smugly. "Ha", said the operator, "what you don't know is that I'm a partial derivative - I'm d by dy".

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A big week for Steve. His second highest (Strava Mon-Sun) week at 228.9 miles/day, and also his fastest at 16.9 mph. That's quite significant as his overall average so far is 16.04 mph. He's recovered some, but not all, of the drop in his overall daily mileage caused by his short day last Sunday.

Steve's stats as at 18 Jun 17
Days: 107 (29.3% of year)
Dist: 38,048 km / 23,642 mi
Avg daily dist: 355.6 km / 221.0 mi
Avg daily elevation (Strava): 1,519 m / 4,985 ft
Moving speed (Strava): 25.8 km/h / 16.0 mi/h
Hours per day riding: 15.1
Projected total at current daily rate: 129,791 km / 80,648 mi

upload_2017-6-19_10-48-36.png

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Just one question @Dogtrousers: with an average daily mileage of 221 miles and an average speed of 16.0 mph, doesn't that make his hours per day riding 13.8? What does the 15.1 figure actually represent?

With a daily requirement of 244 miles from here onwards, and assuming a speed of 16 mph, he needs to be riding for an average of 15¼ hours a day. If his speed went up permanently to 16.9 mph the hours required would reduce to just under 14½.

It's amazing to see just how far he is ahead of the superhuman efforts he produced in 2015, and yet, I just get the impression he's giving up on the big target without a fight. It would be nice to see a sustained period where he consistently puts in the hours and miles needed, and see where it leads.

Bravo Steve!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just one question @Dogtrousers: with an average daily mileage of 221 miles and an average speed of 16.0 mph, doesn't that make his hours per day riding 13.8? What does the 15.1 figure actually represent?

With a daily requirement of 244 miles from here onwards, and assuming a speed of 16 mph, he needs to be riding for an average of 15¼ hours a day. If his speed went up permanently to 16.9 mph the hours required would reduce to just under 14½.

It's amazing to see just how far he is ahead of the superhuman efforts he produced in 2015, and yet, I just get the impression he's giving up on the big target without a fight. It would be nice to see a sustained period where he consistently puts in the hours and miles needed, and see where it leads.

Bravo Steve!
The speed figures are the "moving speed" given by Strava. That's after Strava has removed what it considers to be "stopped time". The total duration that I've used in the daily time distribution graph above is the time from start to end of recorded track. His stopped time is remarkably low.

upload_2017-6-21_9-33-27.png

This is the difference between Strava's "moving time" and the start and finish times of each track.

As to whether he could/couldn't up the mileage sustainably I have no idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom