235 miles a day for a year (Amanda Coker Challenge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
In 1939 Tommy Godwin cycled a frankly mind boggling 75,065 miles, an average of 205 miles a day.
In January 2015 two cyclists, Steve Abraham from the UK and Kurt Searvogel from the USA set out to break the record. However on the 29/3/15 Steve sustained a broken ankle after being ridden into by a moped.
In reality the challenge was over for Steve that day, but he refused to give up at that time and after some rehabilitation he started again, it wasn't until 21/01/16 that he made an announcement that he was retiring from the challenge.
Others started but soon fell by the wayside, leaving Kurt largely unchallenged except by the monumental task itself.
On 09/01/16 Kurt finished his 365th day having ridden a frankly ludicrous 76,076 miles in a year beating Tommy by 1011 miles and pushing the average up to just over 208 miles a day, for a year.
And then came Coker. 4 months after Kurt broke the record Amanda Coker started her attempt. 288 days in, 77 to go, she is riding just shy of 231 miles a day average, astonishing. Currently she is 6434 miles ahead of the world record pace and looks certain to smash the total that Kurt achieved.
For Steve Abraham though it's unfinished business. On 04/03/17 he is starting again, having broken the month record in September 2016 riding 7104 miles in 30 days, just short of an average of 237 miles a day, he feels ready to take on the year record again. This time though he's likely to need an average of around 235 miles a day to take the record.

Here's the link if you want to follow him on Strava
Here's the link to his live tracker
Here's the link to his Facebook
The link to his 1YTT website is at the top of this post.

We wish you all the best Steve, here's to no punctures, no mopeds, a wind at your back and perfect conditions for the next 12 months.

GO STEVE!!!!!!

Edit: Forgot to say, if you'd like to have browse through the thread for Kurt and Steve's attempt, HERE'S the link to the orginal CC thread.

Edit edit: Should things change with Amanda I'll adjust the thread title and OP to suit.

Last edited:

cubey

Über Member
Seriously impressive.:eek:

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Seriously impressive.:eek:
Seriously impressive indeed.
So can he do it?
Personally I think not.
I think the approaches used by Kurt and by Amanda are far more likely to get results. Both are riding/rode unencumbered, Kurt with a support vehicle and Amanda with pit stops. Kurt of course travelled to take advantage of tail winds and better weather, Amanda is riding a pan flat loop.
I also think it's not the best time of year to start, I would have thought the end of October to get the worst out of the way at the start leaving you some of the best weather to chase down a target at the end of the challenge. He'd also know exactly what he's up against of course and not have given Amanda the extra impetus to really turn the screw.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
If he rides in an adhoc way like last time, then i doubt he can do it. He had too many big rides follwed by smaller rest days.

It has to be a metronomic approach with dedicated support, but even then i doubt the UK weather and road network lends itself to this.

But life would be boring if people like Steve didnt take on this crazy adventures. so go steve.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
MOD NOTE:
Copied from the previous (205 miles in a day ...) thread, with thanks to Pale Rider. :thumbsup:
There's a schedule on the oneyeartimetrial website.

It's a bit more up and down than Amanda, but it looks like Steve has an average of 232 miles a day in mind.

Month

Distance Total dist
March 6160 (220mpd) 6160
April 6750 (225mpd) 12910
May 7130 (230mpd) 20040
June 7050 (235mpd) 27090
July 7440 (240mpd) 34530
August 7440 (240mpd) 41970
September 7200 (240mpd) 49170
October 7440 (240mpd) 56610
November 7050 (235mpd) 63660
December 7130 (230mpd) 70790
January 2018 6975 (225mpd) 77765
February 6160 (220mpd) 83925
March 660 (220mpd) 84585
Total 84585

http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/the-preparation

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looking at the outline on the home page of Steve's website, it appears he's starting with an overnight ride.

He will then get into a routine of long day rides.

Starting at just after midnight means he doesn't waste a minute at the start of his year.

But it seems odd to me to put yourself into sleep deprivation straight away.

http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Looking at the outline on the home page of Steve's website, it appears he's starting with an overnight ride.

He will then get into a routine of long day rides.

Starting at just after midnight means he doesn't waste a minute at the start of his year.

But it seems odd to me to put yourself into sleep deprivation straight away.

http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/
That's how he started his month record too.

Maybe he's stocking up on sleep at the moment by hibernating (or doesn't it work like that?)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I don't think Steve knows what sleep deprivation is. Although it will be difficult, if there's one person who is able to take back the record for Blighty it's Steve Abraham. Who has ridden further in a year than everyone in history other than Godwin, Coker and Searvogel.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I doubt he would sleep much anyway on the eve of such a mammoth challenge.
Im sure Steve knows exactly what he is doing after his previous epic achievments.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 4701277, member: 9609"]Has he sorted his diet out? if I remember correctly some blame was being put on his low energy levels before he gave up on his 20 sausages a day diet.

Is there a 'go fund me' page for him. (i can't see facebook so only know what I read here)

I would love to see him do it and will be following with great interest.[/QUOTE]

yes, he has been following a special diet. He talks about it over at the other place.
I don't think more funding is needed as he has enough money left over from the last challenge to keep him going.

Top Bottom