25 mile test ride, no padded shorts or creams.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
After another short test ride without padded shorts, I think I'll have to get some more supportive boxers for the testicles, the other option is castration.

I'm just reading up on the advantages and disadvantages, before I get the garden snips out of the shed.
31QOr5RducL._AC_SL230_.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
I did experiment for a while with padded shorts but didn't see any advantage and often found them to hot so went back to normal clothes.

I often just ride in whatever I happen to be wearing at the time. I do tend to favour briefs over my normal boxers for riding longer distances though and I got a few pairs of cheap golfing trousers which have worked well for winter riding. They look just like normal black trousers off the bike but are more flexible.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Great tip about the ladies silk undies. They're so comfortable elsewhere I'm sure they'll be great on the bike - plus admiring looks in the changing rooms.

Alan O

Über Member
If you have never worn padded shorts then you have no idea if they are a benefit too you or not.
Oh, definitely, yes. I've never tried them because I've never had any cause to, but they are clearly of benefit to a lot of people and I'd certainly not try to suggest otherwise.

All I would do is caution anyone who has a sore bum to not just rush out and buy more stuff, but to also consider other things that can lead to such discomfort - make sure your bike fit and saddle position are right for you, and be sure to put a few miles on your bum first to be sure its not just beginner's softness :whistle:

(Actually, I did briefly have possession of pair of padded shorts when a supplier sent me a pair by mistake after I'd ordered a jacket. They were dark coloured and had a bright red padded insert - and they really did look like a skinned baboon's bum turned inside out ^_^)

Tommy Godwin, 75,065 miles in a year (1939), in silk underwear.

View attachment 348558
http://www.tommygodwin.com/the-challenge/

"Tommy also didn’t have the benefit that professional riders have today with regards to clothing, accessories and personal maintenance. Endless days in the saddle were taking their toll and Tommy suffered from saddle soreness. After limited success using ointment to relieve his suffering, on the advice of a female cyclist he donned a pair of ladies silk undies and greatly improved his discomfort!"

Me: Honestly love, I read it on Cyclechat that it will greatly improve my discomfort

Wife: Cyclechat?? But you don`t have a bike........

Nebulous

Guru
I've a desire to fit in, so chameleon like I adapt to my surroundings.

On the clubrun I wear bibshorts, clipped in shoes and wraparound sunglasses.

Commuting and for work use I have flats and work clothes, with the exception of a reflective cycling jacket, with my work jacket rolled up in my pannier.

Of course none of it works and I stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

On the clubrun I'm wearing a mix of cheap Aldi / Lidl stuff and moderate priced stuff like Altura. Everyone else is head to toe in Castelli or other pricy stuff.

At work everyone is cool and relaxed, while 20 minutes into a meeting I'm still wiping sweat from my head. Twice recently a person I've never met before has silently handed me some kitchen roll or tissues. My work involves visiting external companies at their site, often for whole days at a time. A colleague told me she had bought a new car, because people judge us by the car we turn up in. I asked, "What does it say about me then, that I turn-up on a bike?" I didn't get an answer.

Nebulous

Guru
What sort of bike?

Tarmac for clubrun. My first roadbike was an Allez which did about 12,000 miles before disintegrating. I found myself with a windfall and bought a tarmac on the basis that it was the same geometry but carbon fibre instead of aluminium alloy. I haven't gelled with it in the same way however. Still working on that as I probably haven't used it enough.

Edinburgh bike cyclocross for work / commuting. I'm growing to dislike it, largely because of squealing mechanical discs. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself I need a replacement.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The shorts I wore in the 60s weren't soft padded - they had chamois leather inserts, not much thicker than a window leather, that acted as a chafing barrier. Training and touring shorts often came with a double thickness seat, not a soft pad, which was intended for durability more than cushioning. (I rode a Brooks saddle too in those days). If you want to ride without padded shorts wear close fitting briefs with flat or no seams. Chafing caused by friction is always the problem and a barrier of some kind that moves with the skin rather than rubbing against it is the solution.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I used to wear jeans or ordinary trousers/shorts for cycling (for about 40 years). Now I wear padded shorts for most rides as I find them more comfortable, especially when it rains. Not that it ever does in Devon, of course.

Top Bottom