27 X 1 1/4 rear wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Can anyone suggest where I can obtain a 27 x 1&1/4 wheelset of a reasonable quality. The wheel should be dished for a five speed freewheel, & built using stainless steel spokes . I have tried flea bay etc but all I can find are basic cheap wheels or second hand stuff.

I have recently restored my vintage bike including a professional respray and all it need now is a bit of sparkle

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Your hubs look fine from photo, if they are why not just get them rebuilt with new ss spokes (and new alu rims if necessary)?

a "new" 27" wheel will have cheapo modern hubs on it, and anything used might be no better than what you have

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Your hubs look fine from photo, if they are why not just get them rebuilt with new ss spokes (and new alu rims if necessary)?

a "new" 27" wheel will have cheapo modern hubs on it, and anything used might be no better than what you have

I am considering this option too but I do not know of a wheel man locally.

contadino

Veteran
I got a pair of 27" wheels from Baldwins Cycles a few years ago. Cheap as chips. Quando hubs (which have the benefit of also being the quietest hubs I've ever owned.) I've done thousands of miles on them, included a lot of touring and a lot of non-road riding (i.e. Italian white roads, French Avenue Vertes, and British cycleways).

I've never had the hubs serviced - they run perfectly still. The wheels need periodic truing, but nowhere near as much as the Rigida/Maillards that were originally on the bike. The rims are wearing thin now but Baldwins no longer seem to sell them, so I'm planning on getting a couple of rims from SJS Cycles and having a local bike mechanic rebuild them.

tyred

Legendary Member
I got a pair of 27" wheels from Baldwins Cycles a few years ago. Cheap as chips. Quando hubs (which have the benefit of also being the quietest hubs I've ever owned.) I've done thousands of miles on them, included a lot of touring and a lot of non-road riding (i.e. Italian white roads, French Avenue Vertes, and British cycleways).

I've never had the hubs serviced - they run perfectly still. The wheels need periodic truing, but nowhere near as much as the Rigida/Maillards that were originally on the bike. The rims are wearing thin now but Baldwins no longer seem to sell them, so I'm planning on getting a couple of rims from SJS Cycles and having a local bike mechanic rebuild them.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with those Quando hubs. I've rode a few thousand miles on them myself.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

do the yorkshire cycle hub, up Fryup dale do that sort of stuff or just sell cakes?

Not sure about that, I have been there a number of times but have never seen any activity in the cycling department. The fruit pie is good though 👍
I am thinking of asking Carl (Doctor Crank) if he can do it

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Not sure about that, I have been there a number of times but have never seen any activity in the cycling department. The fruit pie is good though 👍
I am thinking of asking Carl (Doctor Crank) if he can do it
My sisters rave about their cakes etc.

Is he still trading then, when i was last up seeing me mother it appeared to be all closed up?

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

My sisters rave about their cakes etc.

Is he still trading then, when i was last up seeing me mother it appeared to be all closed up?

As far as I know he is working from home, a quick phone call and he will pick up your bike and bring it back when ready. He has other irons in the fire too, he has taken over from Harry Collett and doe's the 'Ghost walks around the town. He also hires out a chauffeur driven vintage car.

Top Bottom