3 aero bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
3 aero bikes, all roughly similar cost around the 2k mark, any owners or thoughts appreciated cheers.

Giant Propel advanced 0 Di2 Ultegra, Carbon shrouded alloy wheelset, alloy fork steerer, 2017

6F68FBF2-5F4A-4AE4-9C18-7CBF109D563F.png

Giant Propel advanced Pro 1 Ultegra 6800, full Carbon wheelset, full Carbon fork, 2017

323EF36D-33C9-48AD-83F8-A6841444059C.png

Planet X EC130 Ultegra 8000, full Carbon wheelset, 2018

7F20C3CF-2958-4F74-82A7-96E08DE4FF26.png

Slick

Guru
Nice looking machines. I assume you've whittled it down and this is the final 3?

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Nice looking machines. I assume you've whittled it down and this is the final 3?
Well, supposedly in the budget bracket that I probably won’t have!
A lot of bang for buck particularly the Di2 bike.
But having done some research figures suggest covering only 1.2 miles more in an aero bike than a standard bike in a 3 hour ride!!
So is it really worth it?
Fashion?

Slick

Guru
Well, supposedly in the budget bracket that I probably won’t have!
A lot of bang for buck particularly the Di2 bike.
But having done some research figures suggest covering only 1.2 miles more in an aero bike than a standard bike in a 3 hour ride!!
So is it really worth it?
Fashion?
Ah, okay. I haven't done any research but I never really got the clamour for Di2. Also, it looks to me like a slammed riding position that may suit the TdF more than the Sunday club run. How long will it be until we see the new style of sprinting out on the road on a Sunday?

Is it really worth it?

I'm definitely not the right man to ask, but if you have the disposable and the desire then yes, without a doubt.

Fashion?

Without doubt.

mustang1

Guru
I believe propel and TCR have same geo.

The Propels are really nice looking bikes and if everything fits ok, I would use "cool looks" as a factor in buying it. The Di2 one has a nicer pain scheme soni would go with that, but I also like the carbon wheels of the red one.

Brain would say get red + carbon wheels but heart would go with DI2.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Id go with the red one.Supposedly a harsher ride than a TCR,Ive not ridden one though

I have read that he propels are harsh ut that could be cycle mag blurb, @simon the viking has one i think?

I've got a Propel advanced 2 with 105 groupset. To be honest I dont find it any harsher ride than my Defy. The tucked in position is a bit lower. What I do notice is the smoothness of brand new 105 over 5 year old tired Tiagra... But i don't remember the tiagra ever being as smooth.

I wanted Di2 but was way out of my budget and overkill for mainly commuting/sunday bimbling

Top Bottom