3 aero bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Ah, okay. I haven't done any research but I never really got the clamour for Di2. Also, it looks to me like a slammed riding position that may suit the TdF more than the Sunday club run. How long will it be until we see the new style of sprinting out on the road on a Sunday?

Is it really worth it?

I'm definitely not the right man to ask, but if you have the disposable and the desire then yes, without a doubt.

Fashion?

Without doubt.

My old dad could have write that.^_^

Slick

Guru
My old dad could have write that.^_^
It's not the first time someone has mentioned that about me. At one time I felt that I had more in common with guys 40 years older than me than I ever could with guys 10 years younger.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have a Ridley Noah SL aero bike, in Lotto Soudal colours. Great bike in fairness. Reviews state that it’s s harsh ride, but I find it no more harsh than my other bike tbh, despite the review of that being very comfortable. Ridley is definitely stiffer though, as I am faster on that for the same perceived effort and doubt that it’s solely down to aerodynamics.

Was looking at the Propel’s before the Ridley deal turned up. Great bikes in fairness. Would be the Orange with full carbon wheels for me, over the deep section flanges on the other Propel. I was told in the dealer that the flanges aren’t actually carbon.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I have a Ridley Noah SL aero bike, in Lotto Soudal colours. Great bike in fairness. Reviews state that it’s s harsh ride, but I find it no more harsh than my other bike tbh, despite the review of that being very comfortable. Ridley is definitely stiffer though, as I am faster on that for the same perceived effort and doubt that it’s solely down to aerodynamics.

Was looking at the Propel’s before the Ridley deal turned up. Great bikes in fairness. Would be the Orange with full carbon wheels for me, over the deep section flanges on the other Propel. I was told in the dealer that the flanges aren’t actually carbon.
More of a plastic I guess?
The draw of Di2 is strong with that bike a great group set, but mechanical Ultegra is hardly bad.
Not much said about the PX yet with new 8000 Ultegra and carbons?

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I’ll be honest the thing that’s always put me off Giants (even though I had a trinity TTbike) is they are just so common.

vickster

Legendary Member
More of a plastic I guess?
The draw of Di2 is strong with that bike a great group set, but mechanical Ultegra is hardly bad.
Not much said about the PX yet with new 8000 Ultegra and carbons?
It’s by far the ugliest ;) and presumably only a 5-6 year warranty on frameset (vs lifetime for original owner for Giant)

If you want a rarer bike, then go for a rarer brand like Ridley, Argon 18, De Rosa etc even Pearson which are rare outside SW London (and not exactly common round here compared to Spesh, Trek, Giant, even Cervelo and BMC

PX aren’t exactly uncommon

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
It’s by far the ugliest ;) and presumably only a 5-6 year warranty on frameset (vs lifetime for original owner for Giant)

If you want a rarer bike, then go for a rarer brand like Ridley, Argon 18, De Rosa etc even Pearson which are rare outside SW London (and not exactly common round here compared to Spesh, Trek, Giant, even Cervelo and BMC

PX aren’t exactly uncommon
Funny though, don’t see many round Suffolk, whereas Giants are everywhere. The other brands you mention don’t exactly fall into the same bracket price wise I don’t think for this type or spec of bike.
It’s funny different tastes an all but I think the ec130 looks ace.

vickster

Legendary Member
Funny though, don’t see many round Suffolk, whereas Giants are everywhere. The other brands you mention don’t exactly fall into the same bracket price wise I don’t think for this type or spec of bike.
It’s funny different tastes an all but I think the ec130 looks ace.
Get one of those then :smile: but try to ride them all first

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
What are you wanting the bike for ? The propel isnt the nicest of bikes to ride according to a mate of mine . If its for racing then perfect but for Sunday club rides a TCR would be better suited .

bpsmith

Veteran
That’s where some quality deal hunting and/or bartering comes in.

My Noah SL was £3,499 at RRP but the distributor put some discounts in place and all the dealers had stock available for £2,250 which is pretty close to your budget with a pro grade frame.

Lots of other options out there without doubt. As @vickster already suggested, check out the De Rosa potentially. Would have said Argon 18 too, as like them a lot, but you’ve already said otherwise.

Obvious most important thing is the ride, so try them out before buying, but no point if you don’t look at it and just love it too. My first bike was a great ride, with great reviews too, but sadly it just didn’t do it for me looks wise. It wasn’t about the brand, as like others in their range, just the particular model I had.

Top Bottom