30% Slopes in Teesside area?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyrill666

Hi,

Does anyone know of any 30% hills in the Teesside area?

I have a long ride planned for later this year and would like to practice my hill climbing. I've cycled up Carlton Bank a number of times, but I'm not sure of the gradient (I would guess about 20%).

Cheers,
Gary :smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Roseberry Topping. 33% in places.

Steep enough for you?

Hi,

Does anyone know of any 30% hills in the Teesside area?

I have a long ride planned for later this year and would like to practice my hill climbing. I've cycled up Carlton Bank a number of times, but I'm not sure of the gradient (I would guess about 20%).

Cheers,
Gary :smile:
If you want to practice hill climbing, doing it up 30% hills will not do a lot for you, quite apart from the fact that there are not many 30% hills around. Climbing a 20% hill or less in a harder gear will have the same effect and it is likely they will be longer too. Racing up hills is a slightly different matter, however, if your aim is to be quick on the really steep stuff, upper body strength should not be neglected.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Head to the NY moors - Rosedale chimney bank - probably hardest climb around, shorter but arguably steeper is Limber Hill in Glaisdale and the road out of Glaisdale head towards Rosedale (referred locally as Common Lane but not sure if it has an official name) is also very steep, as is Fryup New Way - the road upto Blakey Ridge.

Hutton le Hole to castleton in either direction has a nice long but not that steep climb up to Blakey - at least 5 miles of constant uphill.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you want to practice hill climbing, doing it up 30% hills will not do a lot for you, quite apart from the fact that there are not many 30% hills around. Climbing a 20% hill or less in a harder gear will have the same effect and it is likely they will be longer too. Racing up hills is a slightly different matter, however, if your aim is to be quick on the really steep stuff, upper body strength should not be neglected.

Nor should the ability to avoid pies!

OP
OP
Cyrill666

Cyrill666

Thanks Everyone - that's a great help :smile:

I did Teesside to RHB and back again last summer and that included a few decent climbs including Limber Hill, (strava) - however my next challenge is going to be St.Bees to RHB in a single day. The route I have chosen includes Hardknott Pass (why make it easy right?), I haven't ridden Hardknott yet, so just wanted to be as sure as I can be that I'll make it up (I absolutely refuse to get off my bike and push!).

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Wot he said.

Short anaerobic efforts up 30% hills are very different from aerobic efforts up 8% hills. One does not train you for the other particularly well. If you're doing a long ride then aerobic capacity is where its at. If you want to improve this, generally cycling hard up longer, shallower hills will help a lot.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
hi this gives most of the climbs in the teesside area,but as tomo says Rosedale chimney got to be the hardest around for miles.Oh and no ive never rode up it only driven :blush: http://clevelandwheelers.com/killer-climbs-map/
I have as a teenager on a 1980's 10 speed viking racer. I reckon my cadence was pretty low - definate case of grinding up in the lowest gear you have. My mate went up it on a BMX (he went onto to be a Marine).

Ah they call my Common Lane "Caper Hill", and good to see I name checked all their top 3 climbs.

Top Bottom