4x4 stuck on Guided Bus Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
You only had to put in one letter to make that line less sweeping. Mind you who would think cyclists would jump red lights.

right a couple of prequalifiers

1) I am not a local to cambridge
2) i am a driver as well as a cyclist and hold several categories

I use the busway cycle lane/path when I have to visit our projects in Cambridge and the signs are abundantly vlear , even having a picture of a car at a jaunty angle with the large words CAR TRAP. There are also big round red signs with a white line across with the exception plate saying buses only.

for a driver to not understand what these signs mean raises concerns over either learning ability or eyesight. I personally think they are just bleedin stupid so am laughing at them for the stupidity

screenman

Legendary Member
I agree with what you are saying, but rather than use the word motorist which puts us who are all in the same group, maybe a muppet who happened to be driving a car.

Bit like cyclist do not jump red lights, but yobs on bikes do.

I do feel still that it is more of a sad thing than a laughing thing, but we are all different when it comes to humour.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
So do SOME cyclist.^_^

The obvious difference of course - at risk of stating the bleedin' obvious- is that cyclists don't tend to kill and maim thousands of people each year. I think, given the carnage that mass motoring produces, we are allowed at the very least, to laugh and point at the astonishing stupidity of a lot of drivers.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
One of those bollards used to control the £2 congestion charge in the centre of Durham City.

It was pay on exit, and even though the driver might have smashed his car against the bollard, he still had to put £2 in the slot machine to avoid the generation of a penalty ticket.

Smashes were usually attended by a parking warden who would advise the driver of this.

I saw one poor bloke trying to get his £2 out of his pocket as he was lying on a stretcher waiting to be loaded into an ambulance.

At least the warden was good enough to put the £2 through the machine and give him the receipt.

All heart, those guys.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Does the Porsche Cayenne driver get to pay to clean his engine oil up and dispose of it properly?

Oil spills happened quite a lot at the bollard in Durham City.

I knew the 'bollard manager' quite well.

Spills were cleaned by the local authority, who could claim the cost from the driver's insurance as a third party loss.

My mate reckoned the council didn't bother if it was just a couple of litres of oil, but they would claim from the driver if there was damage to the bollard - which there often was.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I don't suppose you bothered to film this did you?

Nope, it was a few years ago and I probably didn't have a camera phone.

The bloke on the stretcher understood what the crack was and wasn't annoyed by it.

I still see the warden around Durham occasionally and still tease him about it.

The bollard was run by the parking warden company as part of their contract with the local authority.

There were strikes of various severity most weeks for a couple of years, so there are many bollard stories.

A police panda car hit it one day, the male driver started crying, I think because of the paperwork/stick he would get at the nick.

About a dozen coppers turned up in minutes - useless beggars, they were only there for the sport.

As I said to a few them, if you get filled in in Durham City they are nowhere to be seen.

Dealing with hits became quite a nuisance for my mate.

He was glad when the bollard was replaced with the number plate recognition system which is still in use today.

Top Bottom