4x4 stuck on Guided Bus Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Brain power not limited to your mode of transport it seems

Oops, sort of did the reverse a few weeks back. There is a bridleway that forms an access to Babcock communciation centre and access to and from it is controlled by a lifting barrier , with a normal gate to one side for uses of the bridleway. On approaching the barrier from the centre side I discovered that if you approach it the barrier raises. Anyway I approached slightly faster than normal and up went the barrier out of sight due to the visor on my helmet .....crash, the barrier had not fully lifted, any way just managed to stay upright !

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
A simple system was devised to hang on to your student grant. You drove out by getting a pal to wheel a supermarket trolley across the entrance ramp, fooling the metal detector, and exited sharpish the wrong way as the barrier was raised.
Usually giggling.

I parked for free in Maidenhead every Saturday for years. You got 10 minutes for free (in case there weren't any spaces), otherwise you punched in the 4-digit code from your ticket at the barrier and it worked out how long you had been there and the corresponding charge. An hour or so with a pile of discarded tickets one weekend was enough to work out how the sequence worked. :rolleyes:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Good point! Although with the number of 'bollard attack' videos around these days, I'd have thought more people would realise how fast they go up.

But then maybe the AA man doesn't waste as much time as me on the internet! :laugh:
The bollards go down relatively slowly compared to the speed at which they "strike". Some people may be fooled by that, I suppose.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I parked for free in Maidenhead every Saturday for years. You got 10 minutes for free (in case there weren't any spaces), otherwise you punched in the 4-digit code from your ticket at the barrier and it worked out how long you had been there and the corresponding charge. An hour or so with a pile of discarded tickets one weekend was enough to work out how the sequence worked. :rolleyes:
You are Alan Turing and ICMFP.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Good point! Although with the number of 'bollard attack' videos around these days, I'd have thought more people would realise how fast they go up.

But then maybe the AA man doesn't waste as much time as me on the internet! :laugh:

The Durham bollard worked OK with ordinary trailers, caravans, and articulated vehicles.

It seems the rigid bar towing device fooled the bollards in the video.

In Durham there was a 'loop' - which I don't understand - under the road surface which played a part in controlling the bollard.

Every pass - and strike - was covered by five CCTV cameras.

My mate the bollard manager said each of the hundreds of strikes could be put down to pilot error.

Plenty of people would claim "it came up under my car".

They would be sent a DVD extract of their crash which always showed otherwise.

subaqua

What’s the point
Vehicular access was so much simpler in the 1970s. In a town not a million miles from a guided bus way, impoverished students used the public multi-storey car park to store their appallingly dangerous vehicles. You drove in and took a ticket from a machine. The City Council expected you to pay at the exit. A simple system was devised to hang on to your student grant. You drove out by getting a pal to wheel a supermarket trolley across the entrance ramp, fooling the metal detector, and exited sharpish the wrong way as the barrier was raised.
Usually giggling.
a ballast from a 250W Son lamp placed on the inductive loop as car in front leaves also works . not that i ever did this in my yoof

wait4me

Veteran
A perfect illustration of one no two of the hazards of helmet-wearing :laugh:

No! I would suggest A perfect illustration of the hazard of wearing a helmet with a pointless vision restricting visor attached

Top Bottom