6800 front derailleur woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

busdennis

Veteran
having problems with this new set up.
The front derailleur cable is supposed to go over the peg at the bottom of the bolt and come up the out side of the same bolt. Cabling up this way results in almost no shifting with an high resistance on the shifter. Shifting is much better with the cable routed directly over the bolt but this is wrong and is annoying me, the bike is an Evo Ribble if this makes any difference. My other bike has 5800 which is cable routed correctly and works beautifully.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Pics would be helpful.

Have you followed the instructions for putting the little pin below the bolt in the right place? It moves laterally a couple of mm between two positions and that makes a substantial difference to the line of the cable, and hence the shifting.

See the instructions in the attached manual (this is 5800 but they're the same in this respect). You can do it without the special measuring tool - it just makes the intial process quicker - but in your case it sounds as if however you have it now is the way you don't want it, so the alignment tool thing is an unnecessary step as you just need to reverse the position.

Attachments

• Shimano 5800 front derailleur manual.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Yes, I had similar issue, took me a while to work out how to move the pin. It was so obvious in hindsight. There's a tool to help you align the cable too, but it wasn't supplied with my groupset, I eventually worked it out by trial and error.

Top Bottom