700x28 tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm thinking of having some put on one of my road bikes.The LBS sells something similar to this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-randonneur-ii-tyre/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Vittoria Randonneur II Tyre - 700x28 Black | City Tyres&kpid=5360206314&sku=5360206314&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360206314uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=Vittoria - Shopping&utm_medium=base&utm_content=spBgC5d2g_dc|pcrid||pkw||pmt||prd|5360206314uk&dest=1&curr=GBP and a knobblier version. I'm thinking of having the former on the front and the latter on the back for the forthcoming bad weather.What do you think? Slower and noisier but less chance of coming off maybe?

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Only last week, I fitted continental contacts. 700 * 28 on my road bike.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-contact-ii-city-road-tyre/

You do notice the extra drag and weight compared to 23's, but you also notice the extra stability when going round greasey corners, covered in leaves, mud and water etc and you notice the extra comfort from having more air in the tyres when hitting potholes and there are a lot down here. Also fewer punctures.

Not sure about extra noblies, I think just the extra rubber from the 28's will be enough.
Cheers Keith

sreten

Hi,

Forget the knobblier version on the back, its counterproductive. Why ?

The back sliding is nowhere near as bad as the front sliding. The back
takes more weight and determines the rolling resistance more than
the front, ands you can live with less grip on the back for better rolling.

If you ventured off road i'd have the knobbly on the front, slicker rear.

rgds, sreten.

These in 28mm with reflective stripes are great at £20 a pair delivered :
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/michelin-city-road-tyre/rp-prod26232

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I'm thinking of having some put on one of my road bikes.The LBS sells something similar to this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-randonneur-ii-tyre/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Vittoria Randonneur II Tyre - 700x28 Black | City Tyres&kpid=5360206314&sku=5360206314&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360206314uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=Vittoria - Shopping&utm_medium=base&utm_content=spBgC5d2g_dc|pcrid||pkw||pmt||prd|5360206314uk&dest=1&curr=GBP and a knobblier version. I'm thinking of having the former on the front and the latter on the back for the forthcoming bad weather.What do you think? Slower and noisier but less chance of coming off maybe?
The Randonneur is quite a heavy tyre. The Rubino Pro-Tech 700 x 28 is sold as a foul weather tyre, and is much lighter.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino-pro-tech-folding-clincher-tyre/

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
On someone's on here's recommendation, I got a pair of Marathon Supreme 700x28s earlier this year. They haven't put a foot wrong - smooth, good grip and puncture protection while being pretty fast and light for a touring type tyre. I got a deal at the time but their main problem is that their list price is around £50!

+1 for 28s for smoothing out small pot holes. It was the main reason I put them on a couple of months ago when the nights started to draw in. I put on gators (£20 each from wiggle), but can't imagine that differences in the tread patterns for the above tyres will have that much effect. Just be careful going over wet leaves, ice, ... whatever you have on.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I bought a lovely set of wheels recently, Ultegra 36 hole hubs laced to Mavic Open 4 CD rims. Already on these wheels were a pair of Specialized Touring II tyres. I had only ever used 23 tyres up to this point. Indeed, I had purchased these wheels in a fit of pique to replace a nice set of Crapnagolo tubular wheels. I was fed up with a long walk home if the Vitoria Pit Stop didn't work and a double blow out on a pot hole that should have made it on to the OS maps was the last straw!

Do you know, I hardly noticed the difference. Maybe I was a minute or so slower over 30 miles but I haven't had the 'delicate' health worries that threatened me stopping cycling altogether in 2013 repeat themselves this year to anywhere near the same level.

To look at they look almost the same size. (We're talking about the tyres again now, not my health worries!!) Unless you're racing I don't think you'll notice the difference. I was once told that to get a bike to aquaplane, you need to be able to pedal the thing far faster than is possible. My tyres have very little pattern and it doesn't worry me. I have ridden in slushy snow with tubs and if anything, the narrow hard tyre cut through to the road better.

As usual, try to get the best tyres you can afford/find on offer. This will make a bigger difference to the ride in my opinion.

Top Bottom