73 Year Old Pushed Off Bike by Car Passenger!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its sad to say that its not unbelievable :-(

Gixxerman

Guru
It never ceases to amaze me what some lowlifes will do.
I simply despair for human society at times.
I don't know how these "people" can live with themselves. They can have no morals.

lets hope that it was on cctv to catch the feral rats .
it is someone's dad/grandad how would they feel if it was theirs,
it could have killed him
if found charge them with attempted murder b@stards

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I know the road and it is near a not so nice part of Bolton,chav city ! Hope the cyclists is OK and they catch the skum involved although i won't hold my breath.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus

Beat me to it!!

I also notice all the anti stuff has since been removed from the DM comments section. The CTC forum had a post on this. I seem to recollect one of the guys on there got hit with a metal rod and tried to report it, he then read of an "accident" along the same stretch.. it was all a bit suspect for it to be quite a one-person accident the Police portrayed..

Thank christ this stuff is rare.

MLC

Words fail me

This is horrible and a symptom of the sickness and toxicity in some elements of our 'society'. What else can one say?

Almost certainly, from the description of the incident, it was a passenger in the vehicle who perpetrated this assault (unless - most improbable - it was a LHD vehicle). This figures. There is a kind of gang instinct that prompts idiots to get together and concoct this sort of outrage. It is never a 'spur of the moment' thing, it has to be a conspiracy between the driver - opting to drive dangerously close to the cyclist - and the passenger - preparing to shove.

I have had three incidents of this type happen to me, now. Only one of them, the first one, was the only one to unseat me. It happened back in 1982, but I remember quite clearly. A small white van passed me on a country road, I ended up on the verge and in the hedge, scratched but not badly hurt. Reported to the police but without a description there was nothing they could do.

The second, in 2005, was a punch on the ear. Didn't injure me. The passenger admitted to being drunk. That time, I got a registration number, phoned the police, and in due course they caught up with the offender and cautioned him.

The third was merely a gentle push on the bum - but I reported that on this forum only a week or two ago. The driver is known to the police but they can't do anything unless he identifies his passenger - which he won't. Apparently even that push is classified as 'assault'. I would like to nail the driver for careless/dangerous driving, but the police need corroborative evidence for that.

Back to this unfortunate victim in Manchester. I really hope, not only that he makes a full recovery, but that he isn't put off cycling! Even at age 73 he may have many years in the saddle still before him. Remember these incidents are still relatively rare - I have spoken of three in over 50 years of cycling!

asterix

Comrade Member
Helmet cam is ever more tempting..

This year a red corsa passed me displaying an outstretched arm but the driver took the car far enough away to stop his passenger. Maybe because I ride a 62 cm frame bike and was a bit high for him?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Same thing happened in Bromley a couple of years back. With the result that the cyclist died. I don;t think anyone was actually charged with the cyclists murder.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thank goodness the guy is a fit cyclist. Had it been a regular 73 year old, oh my.

NOT saying this is acceptable at all. I do hope there is some CCTV at around that time, but getting to court is difficult !

TOTAL scum !

Had some guy try it with me, but the car was full of four lads, I was on my best bike and flaming carbon soled road shoes - no chance in a altercation (ice skates). Didn't take the reg - didn't think at the time.

A number of young lads in a car = you know the words.

delport

Are there any of us cyclists who use this forum who haven't been assualted yet?That is what i would like to know.
I've only been cycling in Gosport 4 years and come under attack quite a few times.

It is disgraceful harming a pensioner like that, no doubt it cheered some youngsters up.
I bought a bike mirror a while back to give me a slight advantage so i can spot what is behind me, or if cars are coming too close.

I don't actually like going out on my bike preparing for something to happen.I have a flip video cam so could record footage every time i go out, i tend not to take it out with me.

Top Bottom