8000+ miles, which Bike!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

del

Hey guys...

As the title says, we are doing quite a long tour and we are all in need of decent tour bikes.

Having done hours of research and reading reviews we are still torn between numerous bikes and figured the best thing to do, would be to ask poeple who actually have used these tour bikes.

So then... any suggestions?

Some extra info of what might need to be considered:

heavy load expected... the tour will last about 6 months, so we will be loading the bikes up with a lot of equipment.

Terrain is likely to be variable... aim to stick to tarmac where possible, but im sure there will be some beaten tracks along the way.

ideally we would like to stick to the £1000 mark, unless you guys really think its essential we spend more?

We are all in our early 20's and active so spending £2000 for the top components is not really on the table for us.

Also it would be ideal to keep the bikes as simple/basic as possible should we need spares.

ok this is getting a bit complicated now... in summary we need decent all round tourers in the 1k mark
Dawes and thorns seem to keep popping up all over the place, seriously considered the Dawes horizon (cheaper) but figured in the long run, it migh be better to spend an extra few hundred now. Have had a look at byers cycles, they seem pretty resonable in price too, and Cotic 'x' (seem to be under the radar) but yeah, any advice on any of these or other bikes you think are suitable would be greatly appreciated guys!!! :smile:

thanks!

Where are you going?

P.H

Über Member
I'll be the first to say it, though probably not the last - Surly Long Haul Trucker;
http://www.surlybikes.com/bikes/long_haul_trucker_complete/

It's everything you'll need from a touring bike and nothing you don't, IMO the best you'll find at that price. Yes you can get more expensive, better bikes but the benefit for the extra money would be marginal. Comes in 26" or 700c, the choice is yours, I prefer 700c but if I was going outside Europe/USA I'd choose 26" for the availability. Find a decent shop and you may get some options on the spec, also make sure the wheels are checked out, at this price point they may be machine built and would benefit from some human TLC before you set off.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
That is an amazing price for such a bike. I want one!!!
I'll be the first to say it, though probably not the last - Surly Long Haul Trucker;
http://www.surlybike...ucker_complete/

It's everything you'll need from a touring bike and nothing you don't, IMO the best you'll find at that price. Yes you can get more expensive, better bikes but the benefit for the extra money would be marginal. Comes in 26" or 700c, the choice is yours, I prefer 700c but if I was going outside Europe/USA I'd choose 26" for the availability. Find a decent shop and you may get some options on the spec, also make sure the wheels are checked out, at this price point they may be machine built and would benefit from some human TLC before you set off.

OP
OP
D

del

Thanks for the replies...

That definitely looks like a great deal, although im no pro when it comes to the individual components, but £944 seems like a decent price.

We'll be cycling to Kenya Dave, thats where the charity is located so it made sense to end the journey there, but we plan to take more than a few detours along the way.

Any other suggestions? keep them coming! : )

Hmmm... Africa; 26" wheels and a steel frame would seem to be in order. A 1980's steel moutain bike frame, some good hand built wheels and mid level MTB group set would do the job in budget.

P.H

Über Member
Chainrings don't seem that touring friendly.

48/36/26 with a 11-34 cassette looks about right for me. Pretty standard fare, if you can't get up a hill in that bottom gear it's probably quicker walking :whistle:

OP
OP
D

del

yeah the Surly LHT seems to be getting good reviews pretty much consistently and it has the advantage of an upright seating position which the others dont seem to have...

Still open to suggestions guys, comfort would be a priority :biggrin:

blockend

Steel MTB good but will be old or cult (read: expensive) or the Surly. You could do it on almost any bike but I'd want fat tyres and clearances.

bigjim

Legendary Member
48/36/26 with a 11-34 cassette looks about right for me. Pretty standard fare, if you can't get up a hill in that bottom gear it's probably quicker walking :whistle:

This is what I saw on the link provided, . I did not see any cassette details. A 38 lowest inner does not appear to be touring.:whistle:

42/53t double, 38/52/56t triple

P.H

Über Member
This is what I saw on the link provided, . I did not see any cassette details. A 38 lowest inner does not appear to be touring.:whistle:

42/53t double, 38/52/56t triple
LOL :biggrin: That's the chainring clearance on the frame spec, ie the biggest rings you can put in those positions, if that were a chainset it wouldn't even be very Tour De France friendly. For the bike specs, click on the tab on the left of the link...

bigjim

Legendary Member
Ahhh.
Obviousley not as intelligent as you. Thanks for pointing it out so politely. Still confusing to dumb little creatures like me.:sad:
LOL :biggrin: That's the chainring clearance on the frame spec, ie the biggest rings you can put in those positions, if that were a chainset it wouldn't even be very Tour De France friendly. For the bike specs, click on the tab on the left of the link...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The peeps at Brixton Cycles, who could have just about any bike they wanted, go for the Long Haul Trucker. 'Ride and forget' seems to cover it.

http://www.brixtoncy...o.uk/surly.html
frame and fork for £350 seems decent enough
the Truckaccino bike complete is £999

Long Haul Trucker

Heavy duty touring bike.
Geared only, rim braked, full braze-ons for front and rear racks, mudguards, 3 bottle cages and spare spokes. Ever wanted to cycle round the world carrying everything you own? This is the bike for the job.
26" wheels for 54cm and under frame sizes, 700c wheels 56mm and over. 135mm OLD
Red or Blue (some green ones left but not all sizes).

Soltydog

Legendary Member
The LHT seems a great bike & always has good reviews, however I ordered 1 about this time last year & because of the size, largest frame & 700c wheels there was no stock in UK & delivery was initially quoted at 2 months, but then extended to 6 months :sad: & even that wasn't guaranteed, so I opted for the Ridgeback Panorama instead, which is also a great bike, although a little more expensive, it comes with front & rear racks, bottle cages & mudguards :thumbsup:

Top Bottom