A chuffed beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bucksgill

It may seem small to many, but I did my first sub 3 minute mile (according to Endomondo) today coming in at 2:57. Some other relatively quick ones (for me) in there as well but that was the lowest. Unfortunately cycling into a very annoying wind meant my average didn't quite topple my 15mph target.

Also did just over 32 miles which beats my record by 8 miles, admittedly it was all flat as a pancake but considering I only got a bike 2 weeks tomorrow and had to stop 3 times during my first ride of 6 miles I think its going pretty well :biggrin:

This thread doesn't really have a point but I just wanted to share my excitedness with people :laugh: hopefully over the next month or so I'll be able to get some clipless pedals and join a cycle club :smile:

Twas a bloody cold night tonight though; my water bottle froze!

I think I'm started to get addicted, where do I get my lycra...

slowride

Great things come from small beginnings.

Bluenite

Congratulations on your new steed and mileage. I am sure you will be clocking a centurypretty soon.

I went out for a pootle not long ago and i know what you mean about the cold! my ears turned to ice.

Regarding your water bottle, use warm water.

Edwards80

Über Member
It's a slippery slope. I remember my 1st sub 3 minute mile. . then my 1st 14mph commute , then 15mph . . . then 16mph. Today I did my 1st over 16.5 so I will probably get over-excited when I do one over 17mph!

It's pretty motivating to record your progress though so it's all good!

Join the cyclechat challenges too if you haven't already :biggrin:

Monthly Challenge - http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/3666398
My profile is here, feel free to add - http://www.endomondo.com/profile/2686789

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Be chuffed. Its what keeps us going.
I was seriously chuffed at my first 20mile/h average commute (just under 6 miles), even though Mr Cavendish would probably have done that on a Raleigh shopper, and stopped for autographs half-way there. Were all on the ladder, its just at different heights.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Well done mate as previously said we all still get exited when we achieve something new, this spurs us on to achieve bigger and better just completed. 300 miles since the new year ... DHB Aeron race Lycra from wiggle is good stuff

redcard

Veteran
Silly question, but Endomondo is web-based, right?

If so, how does it work out your per-mile speeds and distances?

Edwards80

Über Member

You can use a phone app to track you via gps. I use a garmin gps computer to track mine and it uploads straight to the website with either method, it's more accurate and a little bit less messing about with the Garmin, but the phone app is very very easy so either is grand!

Part time cyclist

Über Member

Download endomondo onto your phone and then record your workout using the phone gps and bobs your uncle
I tend to use imapmyride or my garmin forerunner and upload it to mapmyride

OP
OP
bucksgill

bucksgill

As the others said its just a free app that you run, has auto-pause as well so if you are at traffic likes etc. then it doesn't keep the timer going which I like :smile: although you may already know that :laugh: a little inaccurate with the altitude and sometimes the distance is a little off because of its linear interpolation method of calculating but cannot complain when its free!

I've been persuaded by a colleague to join in on his commute tomorrow which should be interesting trying to keep up with him for the few hills. Just over 10 miles each way so at least the distance is fine :smile:

Can definitely feel the addiction growing.

OP
OP
bucksgill

bucksgill

Did the commute today, blimey it was hard despite making my colleague carry my stuff and then me slipstreaming (when I could keep up and he was going slow for me). Great fun though and I/we did a mile in only 2:21 ^_^ so that was lovely to see when I finished.

Think I'll be doing the 20.5 mile round commute 1 or 2 times a week :smile: save a little bit of dosh whilst being damn good fun.

Top Bottom