A fasted 1hr ride before a normal breakfast - maximum per week?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
If you are a fit healthy cyclist then you will be fine. Personally I use myfitnesspal which is essentially calorie counting. It allows you to add back exercise but I only do that at 50%. Although if commission I would probably treat that at even less as I would juts get used to it. I am 90 kg and aim for a net 1800 cals a day when trying to lose weight.

On another note, over many years I have discovered that I can do rides of up to 2hrs with just water/zero cal tablets. Above that I might need some calories

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The reality is, this is a 1 hour commute, going by standard commute type riding, you would be in the minority if you COULDN'T get up and ride 1HR to work without eating. Maybe the assistant, (CX guy) misunderstood the context or applied his own circumstances to the scenario in making his comment

If you are a fit healthy cyclist then you will be fine. Personally I use myfitnesspal which is essentially calorie counting. It allows you to add back exercise but I only do that at 50%. Although if commission I would probably treat that at even less as I would juts get used to it. I am 90 kg and aim for a net 1800 cals a day when trying to lose weight.

On another note, over many years I have discovered that I can do rides of up to 2hrs with just water/zero cal tablets. Above that I might need some calories

That sounds about right.

When I first started I cycling I went out with a local group (not a racing/really fast group)
It was a 5.5 mile cycle to the club meeting point then we would do a ride for 1.5 to 2 hour (20-25 miles) eat something then go back.
I did this every week for about 4 or 5 months and one day one of my club mates asked me what I normally have for breakfast.
My reply was I never really do breakfast I've had about two cups of coffee but I'll have my brekkie at the stopping point.
His jaw almost hit the floor and I heard things such as what do you mean how can you go that far with no food etc etc.
At the time as I just rode without giving food a second thought. Now i'm a little confused and always worry whether I had something with me

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
When I first started I cycling I went out with a local group (not a racing/really fast group)
It was a 5.5 mile cycle to the club meeting point then we would do a ride for 1.5 to 2 hour (20-25 miles) eat something then go back.
I did this every week for about 4 or 5 months and one day one of my club mates asked me what I normally have for breakfast.
My reply was I never really do breakfast I've had about two cups of coffee but I'll have my brekkie at the stopping point.
His jaw almost hit the floor and I heard things such as what do you mean how can you go that far with no food etc etc.
At the time as I just rode without giving food a second thought. Now i'm a little confused and always worry whether I had something with me
Seems about right to me, I don't do breakfast either, can do 25 miles on 2 cups of coffee no bother.
I go slowly, of course, spend less energy :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
In the end as long as your total calorie out is greater than calorie in you are going to lose weight , breakfast before or after is not a big factor assuming your training at an intensity that promotes fat burning and an hours training will be less than what you have stored in muscle glycogen which is going to be full anyway .

Agree with the above. I used to not have breakfast before a hourish commute, because I'm a believer in only eating when you are hungry, and I mostly had yoghurt and oatmeal midmorning and a normal lunch.

One year I lost weight using this regime, the next year I put it back on + some more. This is no miracle, it's total calories.

(obviously I was eating to many of them)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
no food after 9 pm as I'm usually in bed between 9:30 - 10:30 up at 4am no breakfast can't eat at that time of the morning, other than mouthwash I don't have a drink (until I get to work, some water)... leave for work at 5am for a 12 mile 35-40 minute communte, don't eat until first break which is 9am where I have a salad and a piece of fruit ....my communte times are fairly consistent, just to add that this isn't some preconceived idea, it's just how things have worked out...
When i was a milkman i started work at 2 am and had a 10 min brekkie break about 6 am

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
An hrs commute every week day morning fasted for me I do eat anything that i like but my weight is stable and I`ve slimmed. However I noticed the last two months I`ve lost a bit more weight and dropped from a 95-96 Kg plateu to 91Kg just before Christmas, the main culprit....... bread!! I stopped eating anywhere near as much not planned but had stopped and the weight seemed to drop off!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
An hrs commute every week day morning fasted for me I do eat anything that i like but my weight is stable and I`ve slimmed. However I noticed the last two months I`ve lost a bit more weight and dropped from a 95-96 Kg plateu to 91Kg just before Christmas, the main culprit....... bread!! I stopped eating anywhere near as much not planned but had stopped and the weight seemed to drop off!

I did well with dropping bread, then bought my wife a bread maker for her birthday. Oh man that bread tastes good :smile:

subaqua

What’s the point
If you really want to drop the lbs you could always fast 1-2 days a week as i say not healthy at all but chuck in a commute to work and your working off fat alone takes dedication not to eat mind its hard work

why is fasting 1-2 days a week not healthy ? Horizon did a cracking programme about fasting
View: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms
and the benefits of doing it with healthy eating.

i fell off the fasting wagon February last year and sadly my BP and cholesterol have risen ( and the weight) . my GP was happy with the results and couldn't find anything wrong.

At the point i was fasting properly i was fasting Monday and wednesday and commuting 10 miles each way.

Top Bottom