A fasted 1hr ride before a normal breakfast - maximum per week?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
I'm another who really doesn't like eating breakfast before a ride. I don't commute these days, but when I did it was about an hour, and I never had breakfast first. And these days I'll often go for a ride or a morning session at the gym without food first.

I'm just not hungry first thing in the morning, and forcing food down makes me feel bloated - and if I do eat before a short ride or a gym session, it makes me feel worse rather than better.

On longer rides I have been eating before setting out, but recently I've stopped doing that and I have something to eat after the first hour or so. In fact, my longer rides tend to be with other people and typically involve an hour or so's ride to get to the start. After I get there and while waiting for others seems like the perfect time for me to eat something.

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
As I've mentioned earlier, I only accidentally re-triggered this thread when I was looking for information I'd asked about some years ago.
Well, this morning I did over two hours before breakfast (and nabbed a 50km challenge point!) and am still feeling pretty good.

There may be beer, this afternoon, however ...:cheers:

harrison_888

Regular
I've seen a nutritionist recently who is an advocate of fasted cardio - hugely beneficial for weight loss. It's what all top athletes do even if you don't hear about it (it's not the sexiest of training).

Since starting a feasting/fasting regime I'll train fasted most mornings (1-2 x HIIT, 1-2 x strength, 1 x long ride, 1 x TT ride per week. ) eat a substantial lunch and dinner and snack a maximum of once a day. This is working well and it's amazing how long I can go without feeling particularly "starved".

I think it just goes to show the research regarding number of meals, timing of carbs/proteins, frequency etc is inconsistent and in fact, eating less and training more is the only fool proof way of shifting the pounds.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Calories out minus calories in - strange the way it always comes back to the simple laws of physics.
Its that simple yet, I seem to struggle to shift pounds these days......... Fasted commutes are the normal for me. My body maybe used to it now, so I shock treatment required. I think I probably need to stay of the beer and wine :eek:

Tin Pot

Guru
In an effort to remove about a stone of beer belly acquired over the summer, I have embarked on a daily (week days) fasted ride of just over an hour before my regular breakfast. I popped into my LBS today and the subject came up. The assistant (a keen CX competitor) seemed horrified and recommended limiting these to a maximum of three a week. The original magazine article on cycling fitness which prompted me to try this approach didn't mention anything about restricting the number and I can't find any reputable internet articles to confirm or repudiate. Opinions would be gratefully received. :thumbsup:

It’s only an hour. I used to do two hour fasted rides before breakfast in freezing winter rain and wind.

Some people seem to think we’re made of glass or something.

Do as you feel fit for, but be wary of missing breakfast altogether which is not what fasted rides are about.

Tin Pot

Guru
Its that simple yet, I seem to struggle to shift pounds these days......... Fasted commutes are the normal for me. My body maybe used to it now, so I shock treatment required. I think I probably need to stay of the beer and wine :eek:

Because it’s not that simple. Calories in/out is from the Dark Ages of physiology.

Tin Pot

Guru
...in fact, eating less and training more is the only fool proof way of shifting the pounds.

Which just goes to show that your nutritionist has taught you nothing that has been learned in the last hundred years.

Eating less/better is the way to lose “the pounds”.

Eating less is NOT the way to train more.

Alan O

Über Member
Because it’s not that simple. Calories in/out is from the Dark Ages of physiology.
Nope, it's simply physics. Actually achieving it is hard, yes, but the conservation of mass/energy makes it an unbreakable rule.

In fact, if you can provide a properly measured experiment that shows you can lose body energy stores (ie fat) by eating more calories than you burn (or fail to lose body energy stores while burning more calories than you eat), there could be a Nobel prize in it for you.

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
Yes, while the calories in minus calories out rule is simple, achieving it can be very hard - the psychology of weight loss is far more complicated than the physics.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I like what one of the TrainerRoad coaches said (loosely): ‘Grams Lost on the bike don’t equate to the pounds lost in the kitchen.’ What he was getting at was that if we eat better, the bigger our gains (lost fat). Just training like mad isn’t going to shed the fat as quick as eating well.

I have tried one of their snippets of advice: Ditch the evening snacking and rather go to bed peckish. You’ll soon be asleep and won’t notice. You also get used to the ‘torture’.

I am slowly bankrupting Walkers and Magnum.

Top Bottom