A fasted 1hr ride before a normal breakfast - maximum per week?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
I like what one of the TrainerRoad coaches said (loosely): ‘Grams Lost on the bike don’t equate to the pounds lost in the kitchen.’ What he was getting at was that if we eat better, the bigger our gains (lost fat). Just training like mad isn’t going to shed the fat as quick as eating well.
Absolutely, yes. Every time you hear someone claim they're eating less than they burn but still not losing weight, they're being dishonest (usually with themselves).

harrison_888

Regular
Because it’s not that simple. Calories in/out is from the Dark Ages of physiology.
I think it worked in the Dark Ages too. :tongue:

Nutritionists often break weight loss down to the 3 T's (total, type and timing).
The studies for timing of nutrient intake is wildly inconsistent and only often applicable to serious athletes.
Type of food is important (whole and unprocessed would be a good start)
But the research which is consistently validated and uses simple physics is Total - if you eat less than you burn you'll lose weight.

harrison_888

Regular
I like what one of the TrainerRoad coaches said (loosely): ‘Grams Lost on the bike don’t equate to the pounds lost in the kitchen.’ What he was getting at was that if we eat better, the bigger our gains (lost fat). Just training like mad isn’t going to shed the fat as quick as eating well.

I have tried one of their snippets of advice: Ditch the evening snacking and rather go to bed peckish. You’ll soon be asleep and won’t notice. You also get used to the ‘torture’.

I am slowly bankrupting Walkers and Magnum.
Spot on! :thumbsup:

Alan O

Über Member
Just as an aside, the whole weight-loss business is worth billions every year, and that has led to an abundance of fashions and fads over the years from people trying to sell us things (and sell is the key). If you look at the ads from this year, from last year, and from 5 to 10 years ago, you'll find fashions changing faster than skirt lengths. And that does not reflect any changes in the laws of physics.

harrison_888

Regular
Just as an aside, the whole weight-loss business is worth billions every year, and that has led to an abundance of fashions and fads over the years from people trying to sell us things (and sell is the key). If you look at the ads from this year, from last year, and from 5 to 10 years ago, you'll find fashions changing faster than skirt lengths. And that does not reflect any changes in the laws of physics.
Absolutely - whichever approach is going to generate the most revenue will be marketed as the latest sensation.

It's often coupled with the words "...studies have shown..." which really gets my goat. It loses all meaning when the study is not cited or is not credible. Companies also cherry pick the parts of the study which fit their agenda and ignore any caveats. This is all assuming there was even a study in the first place. Very dishonest.

Eating less and exercising more is not a popular method with weight loss companies because it's simply the most effective and the least profitable - ironic really.

harrison_888

Regular
What i mena is exercising when you havent eating isnt good for you if you oush yourself to hard just from my experience i was running 3-4 times a day while not eating and i felt terrible but the weight was dropping off at a few kilo a day i was 98 kilo and had to get to 84 for my army medical and i managed it in under a couple of weeks but by the time i got to the medical place and passed on my weight i was far too unhealthy to do anything active. But then again i wa salso running in a sauna suit and dehydrating myself.
I read this all in 1 breath. :heat:
Full stops and commas can become your friends.

harrison_888

Regular
Which just goes to show that your nutritionist has taught you nothing that has been learned in the last hundred years.

Eating less/better is the way to lose “the pounds”.

Eating less is NOT the way to train more.
I'll let the nutritionist know - he'll be very upset.

I concede I didn't explain that last bit in the right way. I meant calories in needs to be less than calories burned to lose "the pounds".

Irrefutable :tongue:

harrison_888

Regular
Work on your breathing. Actively exhale and the inhale will take care of itself. Vacuums. It’s all about vacuums ;)
I'm a simple man - without grammatically instructed pauses I will eventually pass out.

Alan O

Über Member
Well, if you can explain how a body can have an energy input that is greater than its energy output and yet still see its total energy reduce... well, I'm sure we'd all love to hear how to overturn the first law of thermodynamics.
Just to expand on that a little. It's not counting the calories that's the issue here, and that approach to weight loss can be very hard for a lot of people - it's working for me, but many find it a hard approach. And yes, there are various other strategies that do not involve actually counting calories.

But every successful weight loss strategy will always do it by achieving the exact same bottom line - calories in less than calories out.

mustang1

Guru
Mon to Fri I go to the gym for 45 minutes and then cycle an hour to work. Been doing it now for 4 years with no side effects and only eat when I get into work.
So you probably do about 15 minutes of exercise at the gym and 30 minutes of actual cycling. :smile:
When I used to visit the gym, it was for 2 hours with about 15 minutes exercise, so you're still doing far better than me. I just went there to socialize.

Top Bottom