A fasted 1hr ride before a normal breakfast - maximum per week?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
why is fasting 1-2 days a week not healthy ? Horizon did a cracking programme about fasting
View: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms
and the benefits of doing it with healthy eating.

i fell off the fasting wagon February last year and sadly my BP and cholesterol have risen ( and the weight) . my GP was happy with the results and couldn't find anything wrong.

At the point i was fasting properly i was fasting Monday and wednesday and commuting 10 miles each way.

What i mena is exercising when you havent eating isnt good for you if you oush yourself to hard just from my experience i was running 3-4 times a day while not eating and i felt terrible but the weight was dropping off at a few kilo a day i was 98 kilo and had to get to 84 for my army medical and i managed it in under a couple of weeks but by the time i got to the medical place and passed on my weight i was far too unhealthy to do anything active. But then again i wa salso running in a sauna suit and dehydrating myself.

subaqua

What’s the point
What i mena is exercising when you havent eating isnt good for you if you oush yourself to hard just from my experience i was running 3-4 times a day while not eating and i felt terrible but the weight was dropping off at a few kilo a day i was 98 kilo and had to get to 84 for my army medical and i managed it in under a couple of weeks but by the time i got to the medical place and passed on my weight i was far too unhealthy to do anything active. But then again i wa salso running in a sauna suit and dehydrating myself.
and there you go.you were doing it far too quickly for it to be healthy. good luck with the kidney stones later in life from the dehydration. ;) my brother is going through the pain of these being expelled at the moment

Travs

I've been taking advantage of the Wattbike at the gym for weekday training etc while the days are darker. I was under the impression that higher intensity, more calories burned was the best thing and that the Fat-burning zone was a bit of a myth.
The most important, and logical thing I read was that your body needs oxygen to metabolise fat and therefore at higher HR zones the fat-burning ability drops off as the ability to fuel muscles with sufficient oxygen reduces.
In 4 months of hitting the training hard for 2 hour sessions, since maintaining my HR at 85% max (with the odd sprint as a semi-HIIT and just getting fed up), the weightloss has greatly improved.
I've read both on here and elsewhere that the additional time able to be spent at a lower intensity also results in net higher calories burnt. To be honest, after a couple of hours of Z4 I'm starting to bonk anyway.

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Typical - after reading (a more recent) article on this, I decided to go out for 90 mins each morning this week (I have acquired another beer belly). I then wondered if there had been any discussion about the subject on CC ...

Wish my memory would improve. :blink:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have always been intrigued by fasting. This 5:2 eating pattern is interesting, but I just can’t work out how I would survive: School Run of 16km most days, a physical job, turbo training 3 times a week and often an Audax over the weekend.

I can’t get the calorific workings to balance.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Typical - after reading (a more recent) article on this, I decided to go out for 90 mins each morning this week (I have acquired another beer belly). I then wondered if there had been any discussion about the subject on CC ...

Wish my memory would improve. :blink:
Ha ha!

I just made one of my now very infrequent visits to BikeRadar. I haven't posted there for years but I found an interesting-looking thread which I read every page of and discovered that ... I had made the final post in it. I had no recollection of seeing the discussion before!

I have always been intrigued by fasting. This 5:2 eating pattern is interesting, but I just can’t work out how I would survive: School Run of 16km most days, a physical job, turbo training 3 times a week and often an Audax over the weekend.

I can’t get the calorific workings to balance.
I'm okay as long as I don't cycle more than about 40 km on a fasting day, space the fasting days out with at least 2 days between fasts, and don't fast the day before a long ride or the day after one.

Skibird

I cannot miss a single meal as I feel physically sick (breakfast, lunch or dinner), but always walk my dog for over an hour before I have my breakfast (which is prob a couple of hours after getting up). I don't recall the exact science behind it, but I know if you can, you should do your exercise in the morning before you eat, so that you are burning fat and not just using up the food you have eaten. This is only if you want to lose weight, it doesn't really matter when you exercise/cycle if you are happy with your weight and are doing it purely for the enjoyment etc

mgs315

Considering my current commute involves an hour ride before breakfast (out the house at 5.30 and I like my sleep) and I’ve had no ill effects I’d say crack on with it as long as you feel ok.

Top Bottom