A gas thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was reading "primus myths" thread - I am unashamably a lover of the disposable gas canister - clean, efficient etc etc - but several of the posts echo my fear that when I get to wherever I will not be able to buy them

I would be interested in peoples experiences (not what theve been told but actual) on a country by country basis particulaly eastern europe, north america

what can you buy - GazCV, primus, piercable
general availabilty - rarely seen, available if you look for them, common
what sort of oulet you can buy them in, supermarkets, hypermarkets, sports stores, hardware shops

If I get enough replies I will try to collate into table and post when the thread gets long enough or dies

jay clock

Massive member
very timely. I have a super light titanium stove with a screw fitting which looks something like one of these http://www.winwood-outdoor.co.uk/acatalog/Camping_Stoves.html not sure which as am not at home. Are these bottles easily found in France?

andym

Über Member
Can I make a pre-emptive 'You wouldn't have these problems if you bought a Trangia post'? :wink;

Jay your stove will take a screw on cartridge. There's a european standard for these but unfortunately Camping Gaz produce two gas cylinders thst are different. Hence the concerns about availability in in France. Now turn to the Primus Myths for what you can do.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Last time I mentioned on a Trangia thread that I use a gas stove I was told that I was impatient, shouldn't really be touring etc:biggrin::biggrin:

FWIW, I use in France, Germany and Italy, a Camping Gaz which takes the clip-on CV 270 cartridge. It can be unclipped and stowed when not empty. It isn't as available as the piercable ones but I've always managed to find replacemants either at a camp shop or haedware store i these countries.
I carry 2 as the weight is negligible. I only cook rarely but more than I used to - it's mainly for tea and coffee.

jay clock

Massive member
Jay your stove will take a screw on cartridge. There's a european standard for these but unfortunately Camping Gaz produce two gas cylinders thst are different.
I think mine is a Coleman type which is different. Will take the stove as it only weighs 85g and hope for the best. It is only really for a daily coffee or tea.

I use in France, Germany and Italy, a Camping Gaz which takes the clip-on CV 270 cartridge.
I have the same stove. Because I was worried about getting a Camping Gaz cartridge in NZ, I bought the new stove there, and since the new stove is about 150g lighter, of course I have to take that!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
South of France (Alps/Ardeche/Tarn etc):
Pierceable available in most supermarkets, even small ones.
CV readily available in supermarkets in many of the larger villages.
Threaded I've only seen in some sports shops (Decathlon/Intersport), not that I've gone looking.
I use an MSR Superfly which will take either threaded or CV.

JackE

Über Member
I have a Snow Peak screw-in type of stove but when I go to Europe I take one of the Vaude/Markhill cartridge adaptors (see: www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product153.asm ). This allows me to use either the CV or standard screw-in cartridges. They're around £10 and mean you don't have to buy an MSR Superfly.
Personally I wouldn't touch a pierce-able cartridge stove. I know someone who burned a large hole in his Hilleberg Akto with one due to a worn rubber seal. He was very lucky to escape without serious injury.

Domestique

Über Member
So if I am touring in Holland and I have a Campinggaz clic-fit stove am I likely to encouter problems getting spare cannisters?

Tony

Jay has exactly the same situation as me. Coleman's stove, CG does not fit, so will get micro CG stove for next tour where CG are the main brand, but take the Coleman's anyway. I have previously used a blowtorch bottle to fuel my Coleman's.

OP
OP
psmiffy
Holland in my eperience easy for camping Gaz not so good for coleman/primus

Has anyone any experience of eastern europe?

andym

Über Member
I suggested that on the other discussion about gas cylinders. andrew_s (who seems to know what he's talking about) suggested that it probably wasn't a good idea to use this with blow torch cylinders. I think this was because the gas cylinder would need to be on its side and so the gas wouldn't be properly mixed. (But I may have misunderstood).

Proud2Push

andym said:
I suggested that on the other discussion about gas cylinders. andrew_s (who seems to know what he's talking about) suggested that it probably wasn't a good idea to use this with blow torch cylinders. I think this was because the gas cylinder would need to be on its side and so the gas wouldn't be properly mixed. (But I may have misunderstood).

Oh dear, I missed the other thread about gas cylinders so I 'm sorry if I've been boring and repetitive. I have used this adaptor with the 250g Camping Gaz Uno cartridges (which I got for £1 each from Go Outdoors) and it works fine. I admit I have been nervous about the liquid gas running along the hose, even though there is a little stand supplied, so I've just propped the cartridge up against the plastic case the adaptor comes in. So far it has not given any problems.

Top Bottom