A Giant Off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This morning I decided to give a Giant Stonebreaker that I got working yesterday a longer test ride . Yesterday's ride was only just over 5 miles and I wanted to see how it felt on a longer run .
There had been a hard frost overnight and there was still some ice lying about , the sun was shining brightly with a lovely clear blue sky . I had managed a ride yesterday despite the conditions so I thought I would cope with a bit of care .
I stopped off a quarter of the way round to take some photos and met two other chaps out for a ride . I caught up with them a bit later and overtook them before stopping off at Reybridge Lacock to take more photos. Once again I caught up with them further up the lane but this time I decided to just follow on behind .
We all turned off down a lane towards Bewley Common. It was a little way along this lane that it happened ! I was watching the rider in front of me suddenly jackknife to the right and hit the deck . The next thing I knew was that I was doing the same thing ! I landed hard my right hip and elbow . As I got up I noticed that the lead rider had also gone down and was getting up. In the space of 30 feet all three of us had hit the deck .
We checked ourselves for injuries and damage to our bikes and whilst chatting one of the riders said that I had a Giant bike as well ! It turned that all 3 of us were riding Giants of different types .
I returned home after my 11 mile ride without any further mishaps. I also discovered that whilst I was out that my friend had rang to say not to go out for a ride as there was black ice about and that he had come off .

Ouch!!! Hope that's only bruising xxx

Hip fracture is a considerable risk on black ice. I have come off once when I was younger and bouncier. My dad came off and it didn't go well for him. No amount of skill can keep you up but it may help you avoid high risk section ie slick cambered road surfaces and untreated bike paths.
I would strongly advise studded tyres and some form of hip protection. You can get them for MTB and skating. You can improvise with bits of plastic bottle and bubble wrap.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Considering the lanes we had been down it was the most innocuous section . The sun was shining down on it and it just looked a bit wet .
If someone had videoed it they could have got £250 from You've Been Framed .
We were a bit bemused by the off. I don't think the other riders were injured. 2 people from 2 houses nearby came out to see if they could help. One of the rider's bike needed a bit of attention .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Ouch!!! Hope that's only bruising xxx
My wife says that I'm a stupid old codger for going out in the first place .
I've got a nice 3 inch rope burn on my elbow and a very tiny bruise on my thigh. I'm limping a bit . I must have pulled a muscle on my inner thigh .
It's a good job I was wearing thick jeans and a thick pullover underneath my cycling jacket .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am glad that you weren't hurt.

I had 3 MTB crashes on ice in an hour on NY day about 25 years ago so that was the end of my offroad winter rides. (If we got enough ice and I could afford them, I would buy studded tyres.)

Last year I crashed my road bike on ice. I went down very hard but was probably saved by it happening too fast for me to react. I fell on my side but it was like breaking a fall on a Judo mat - the impact was well spread out so I didn't damage myself, or the bike!

It can get nasty when you see it coming and stick an arm out. Next thing you know you've got a broken collarbone, arm or wrist... Or of course, it can be very nasty if you land on a hip. A former colleague fell on one of his and broke it.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
GWS
i havent been on the bike for over 3 days now because of the weather and dodgy roads as its just not worth the risk, apparently on my local lanes someone fell off today and snapped his top tube !

Me too, I'm 56 in a couple of days time, as you get older it takes longer to recover and it bloody hurts, all my cycling at moment is on the turbo.

Slick

Guru
Nothing stupid about getting out this time of year, you just have to pick your route carefully.

I went out the other day and did get some funny looks from the neighbour's but I changed my route to stay on as many main roads as I could before I finally realised that if I wanted home before dark I would need to resort to lanes at some point. The snow had frozen but there was no black ice and I just took it very canny for the most part but probably had to walk a mile or so as it was just so bad. Still got out but I haven't been out since as even I have limits. ^_^

You can diy studded ice tyres that are very effective though not as durable as the ones you buy. Mine are good on slick ice as well as snow and slush.
You need good clearance and the base tyre is a coarsly studded MTB style, cheapie ones are fine.

My wife says that I'm a stupid old codger for going out in the first place .
I've got a nice 3 inch rope burn on my elbow and a very tiny bruise on my thigh. I'm limping a bit . I must have pulled a muscle on my inner thigh .
It's a good job I was wearing thick jeans and a thick pullover underneath my cycling jacket .

Awh xxx :hugs:

Mind, you do realise you've now got a good excuse for doing the girly thing of having a nice long hot bath with plenty of bubbles and a good book. ;)

Top Bottom