A Giant Off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
There tend to be cold pockets where black ice will form. So much of a route may be fine then you suddenly find it go quiet under the tyres and before you know it the front twitches. At least if on a low or mid racer recumbent, it’s a gentle off, though I’ve got the winter tyres on the moment.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I was thinking of how conditions can change and catch people out .
I can remember a day years ago when the conditions were just right to create an ice rink . When I went out of our front door the ground was so slippery that I could hardly stand up .
I thought that it was due to our garage shielding our path from the sunshine . I was wrong ! I soon discovered that the ice was everywhere. When I tried to move my car it was like driving on an ice rink . I put my car back on my drive .Cars were crashing on the untreated roads.
It turned out that a light rain storm had fallen on freezing cold ground and immediately turned to ice . Some people had managed to get out before the rain shower and had no problems , it was just those who were unfortunate to catch the ice at the wrong time .

Kingfisher101

Über Member
People are just very stupid for riding a bike in icy weather. What do you think is going to happen?. You need your heads looking at and obviously are not thinking about the potential impact on your family if you end up in hospital. You're idiots.

Slick

Guru
People are just very stupid for riding a bike in icy weather. What do you think is going to happen?. You need your heads looking at and obviously are not thinking about the potential impact on your family if you end up in hospital. You're idiots.
:ohmy::laugh:

Slick

Guru
Mod Edit - Removed quoted/Deleted post

Anyway, time for my first 50k of the year. :hello:

Last edited by a moderator:

dodgy

Always something to learn from mishaps, every time you make a mistake, think what you could have done to reduce the chance of it happening.
I went out for a ride yesterday but turned back at the end of the road, I just didn't feel happy about the conditions. Something you learn from experience, glad all you dented was your pride!
Of particular danger in cold weather are bridges, they're chilled from both sides and tend to form ice before other roads. (not connected with your incident, just putting it out there).

Yup. Just about sums it up. There's always tomorrow.
Aren't days like this what turbo trainers were invented for?

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I would like to say that this was an accident which took 3 of us by surprise . Luckily none of us were badly injured .
Accidents can happen at any time anywhere, even in the safety of your own home . In the past I have slipped up on a path , flown 8 feet and head butted my back door . I have also slipped on a loft ladder and fallen against a child stair gate and broken my ribs .
When I set off it was sunny with clear blue sky . It was chilly and I was aware that areas in shade could be icy. I wasn't wearing thin lycra but thick jeans, pullover, jacket and motorcycle gloves, clothing to provide a bit of padding in case I did fall off . Not enough it would seem .
Falling off isn't restricted to the winter. I fell off earlier this year when my pedal came off whilst standing up . That was a bad crash at a slow speed . Greasy roads or loose gravel can take a rider out at anytime , so we just have be prepared just in case .

dodgy

Took 3 of you by surprise, otherwise known as inevitable - if you know the signs and lookout for them. That's why my ride yesterday was 50 yards and back.

Top Bottom