A Giant Off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
This morning I decided to give a Giant Stonebreaker that I got working yesterday a longer test ride . Yesterday's ride was only just over 5 miles and I wanted to see how it felt on a longer run .
There had been a hard frost overnight and there was still some ice lying about , the sun was shining brightly with a lovely clear blue sky . I had managed a ride yesterday despite the conditions so I thought I would cope with a bit of care .
I stopped off a quarter of the way round to take some photos and met two other chaps out for a ride . I caught up with them a bit later and overtook them before stopping off at Reybridge Lacock to take more photos. Once again I caught up with them further up the lane but this time I decided to just follow on behind .
We all turned off down a lane towards Bewley Common. It was a little way along this lane that it happened ! I was watching the rider in front of me suddenly jackknife to the right and hit the deck . The next thing I knew was that I was doing the same thing ! I landed hard my right hip and elbow . As I got up I noticed that the lead rider had also gone down and was getting up. In the space of 30 feet all three of us had hit the deck .
We checked ourselves for injuries and damage to our bikes and whilst chatting one of the riders said that I had a Giant bike as well ! It turned that all 3 of us were riding Giants of different types .
I returned home after my 11 mile ride without any further mishaps. I also discovered that whilst I was out that my friend had rang to say not to go out for a ride as there was black ice about and that he had come off .

Sorry to hear this! I’m only about 8 miles from you and know that area well. I opened the curtains today and saw the ice on my car and the road and thought “nope”, seen too many people go down hard on ice. Shame though I bet Reybridge area looked lovely in the frost.

Glad you didn’t come off too bad though...

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Sorry to hear this! I’m only about 8 miles from you and know that area well. I opened the curtains today and saw the ice on my car and the road and thought “nope”, seen too many people go down hard on ice. Shame though I bet Reybridge area looked lovely in the frost.

Glad you didn’t come off too bad though...
Thanks .
It was nice and sunny and the river had gone down quite a bit .
I prefer Easton Lane , Thingley, Notton, Reybridge, The Bell and back via Mons Lane, Corsham Road, Thingley Court Farm and back as it is relatively flat as opposed to the drag out to Biddestone .

Pikey

Thanks .
It was nice and sunny and the river had gone down quite a bit .
I prefer Easton Lane , Thingley, Notton, Reybridge, The Bell and back via Mons Lane, Corsham Road, Thingley Court Farm and back as it is relatively flat as opposed to the drag out to Biddestone .

Nice! We are gifted a bit where we are in the shire tbh. I know the Bell well, that’s the pub on the big hill up that connects you to the road that goes past bowood isn’t it? One of my fave little hills that... I used to winch myself up that on my recumbent trike back in the day.

If you like the flatlands there is some lovely bits out near Keevil and Steeple Ashton, nice pub with beer garden in the latter.

I sacked the ride off and took a walk with the family up over Imber village in the end today, ice in puddles 3/4 inch thick eeeeek!

Saw a few out on fat bikes up there though, that made me jealous lol!

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Awh xxx :hugs:

Mind, you do realise you've now got a good excuse for doing the girly thing of having a nice long hot bath with plenty of bubbles and a good book. ;)
I had a hot bath and a nap to heal my injuries . I also used the bath water to try out my model Corvette in to see how much balast I will need to put in it . I found a problem! I think the propshaft isn't long enough as it finishes below the water line .

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Nice! We are gifted a bit where we are in the shire tbh. I know the Bell well, that’s the pub on the big hill up that connects you to the road that goes past bowood isn’t it? One of my fave little hills that... I used to winch myself up that on my recumbent trike back in the day.

If you like the flatlands there is some lovely bits out near Keevil and Steeple Ashton, nice pub with beer garden in the latter.

I sacked the ride off and took a walk with the family up over Imber village in the end today, ice in puddles 3/4 inch thick eeeeek!

Saw a few out on fat bikes up there though, that made me jealous lol!
I think you are thinking of the Rising Sun. The Bell is lower down near the bridges .
Bowden Hill is a killer ! If I was to go that way I would walk up it . My cardiologist said that I mustn't cycle up hills anyway .
Back in the 70's I went up in a glider at Keevil .

Pikey

I think you are thinking of the Rising Sun. The Bell is lower down near the bridges .
Bowden Hill is a killer ! If I was to go that way I would walk up it . My cardiologist said that I mustn't cycle up hills anyway .
Back in the 70's I went up in a glider at Keevil .

There are two pubs on that road???!!! I need to pay more attention, I’ve robbed myself of an extra pint!

That’s right, Bowden hill, I couldn’t think of the name.

Well, when the ice has gone and if you don’t mind chebbing along with someone on their mtb I’d be glad to ride out keevil way from Lacock with you.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
There are two pubs on that road???!!! I need to pay more attention, I’ve robbed myself of an extra pint!

That’s right, Bowden hill, I couldn’t think of the name.

Well, when the ice has gone and if you don’t mind chebbing along with someone on their mtb I’d be glad to ride out keevil way from Lacock with you.
That sounds like a good idea .
I normally ride old steel racers.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear about your off, @Illaveago , a lesson for all of us. I prefer this cold weather, so much better than the wind and rain at this time of year. But I have a MTB fitted with studded tyres to hopefully keep me upright. Although this weather probably only lasts for a week or two each winter, they are worth the investment. I came off years ago and bashed my left hip, and still get bother from it.
Get well soon! :okay:

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Sorry to hear about your off, @Illaveago , a lesson for all of us. I prefer this cold weather, so much better than the wind and rain at this time of year. But I have a MTB fitted with studded tyres to hopefully keep me upright. Although this weather probably only lasts for a week or two each winter, they are worth the investment. I came off years ago and bashed my left hip, and still get bother from it.
Thanks.
I was just thinking. It was just one spot about 30 feet long out of an 11 mile ride which took me down .
We all joked about it when we got back up on our feet . It was a bit like synchronised falling off .
As has been mentioned above , falling off when you are older hurts more than it used to .

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Every year I think about putting a set of studded tyres on my old Marin mtb but I never do

Slick

Guru
Another cold icy morning here so sitting trying to time my run well to get out late enough for the worst to thaw but early enough to get back before it freezes again. It really would be much more sensible to stay on the couch in this weather but there's only so much sitting around you can do.

Top Bottom