A massive "well done" to all comuter cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
Any cyclist who commuted all through January, have a big "well done" from me, i thought I would congratulate us because nobody else will, because nobody else knows how tough January can be, we've put up with ice, snow wind rain and temperatures hovering around just above and below zero, which is worse than minus 5 due to black ice, easily the worst month of the year due to short days too, so easy to give in and find a more comfortable way to get to work, so well done folks, winter is not over yet but at least the day's are getting longer. Its a shame the government doesn't reward cycle commuting at this time of year, its easy in spring but real tough at this time of year.

chr15b

Über Member
It's a little sad that I miss my winter commutes, it was the motivation to get out in the horrible weather.

lejogger

Guru
Despite working from home since March I've been making the effort to do at least the equivalent of my commute distance (there and back) in one block at 7am, at least 3 times a week throughout January.

I do know that this doesn't really count as a 'commute', but it definitely sets me up for the day, and makes me feel as though there's at least a small amount of normality happening.

I even cycled to the office this morning as I had a package that I needed to leave on a colleague's desk for them (a genuine work item, not anything unsavoury), and realised at about the halfway point that I'd left my fob at home, so I'd be unable to get in :sad:
Oh well, I'll try again on Monday :okay:

Sharky

Guru
A long time ago, in the 70's and the days of train strikes and 3 day weeks, I cycled into London and many others got in somehow. At the time, one of the executives of the company was also an MP. After everything got back to normal, we were all invited to tea and cakes on the House of Commons garden terrace, overlooking the Thames.

I am thankful for those strikes etc, as it pushed me into commuting, which I did off and on all my working career.
Now that I am retired, I really miss those commutes.

si_c

Guru
I find it hard to get out every day at the moment given that I'm working from home and I'm not an early riser so I tend to get out of bed last minute. Motivation is lower in the evenings as it's dark. That being said I'm trying to get out a couple of times a week "after work" for a ride for an hour or so regardless of weather and I'm looking to increase that over the next couple of months as the evenings gets lighter again.

Lots of respect for those who are able to do it every day without the actual need to get to work.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
I find it hard to get out every day at the moment given that I'm working from home and I'm not an early riser so I tend to get out of bed last minute. Motivation is lower in the evenings as it's dark. That being said I'm trying to get out a couple of times a week "after work" for a ride for an hour or so regardless of weather and I'm looking to increase that over the next couple of months as the evenings gets lighter again.

Lots of respect for those who are able to do it every day without the actual need to get to work.
When I wrote this I was thinking about working from home /furlughed comuter cyclist and how maybe they would be jealous even of the constant weather battles because I know I would really miss my daily commute by bike, i turn down many a lift because I would just rather go by bike, with puzzled looks from the offerer, i have found this winter particularly tougher than previously years i did used to revel in the more extreme weather, found it thrilling, but not so much nowadays.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’ve had one day off cycling this month. But instead of normal commute hours I’ve taken a long lunch break to cover commute time plus lunch time.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Still commuting 2-3 days a week, despite pressure from SWMBO to limit that to 2 days maximum. I don't mind cold, dark, frost, ice, wind or snow, but prefer not to ride in rain.
I don't even mind the rain when I'm not going anywhere in particular and don't have to worry about being absolutely dry and presentable. This winter hasn't been too bad apart from a couple of days of high winds IMO. Lots of sun and little slush.

The problem I have at the moment is that there's pretty much naff all to cycle to more than 8 miles away, due to constant pressure not to interact with anyone more than absolutely needed discouraging use of roadside coffee+cake sellers and it's too dark, cold and slebby for much of the natural beauties of early spring to be seen yet.

Which reminds me to go move a couple of bricks that I think are stood on some daffs.

thanks ! Been a poor month in comparison with my previous 28 Januarys tbh. 1 hefty off with resultant colourful bahookie, 3 flats (with 3 different tyres) & two very sore thumbs from changing the flats...two more days of January left though, both with ice forecast. Wish Glasgow cooncil would use a blunter type of grit:blink: ...roll on stormy February...

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
I wouldn’t want it any other way. I love my 3am commutes throughout the entire year.
Yes indeed, to a non cyclist this would be insanity but there is an intense unexplainable sometimes magical satisfaction in commuting by bike particularly in winter and the first comute to work in that 1st taste of spring after the hardships of another difficult winter are so amazing and make spring all the more glorious.

Top Bottom