A nation yawns.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Phoebus

I don't buy newspapers, so I'm quite shielded from it. Come to think of it, I don't watch the TV news either.

Chris James

Über Member
We seem to have been 'celebrating' this anniversary for ages, given that pop concert was months ago.

What always annoys me is that commentators always dwell on how the nation was in mourning and how everyone was weeping in the street.

I remember coming down to breakfast and being shocked when I saw the news on telly. I thought it was a terrible shame that someone young had died leaving two sons behind. Much the same as I would think of any other news item about a tragic death. I suppose it seemed more shocking because she was famous, but that was it.

I was unprepared for the days of obsession on telly and the people who seemed to be outdoing one another to show their grief for someone they didn't know. I wondered how some of these would cope with the death of a close family member if they went to pieces just because Diana had died.

After a couple of days I was thoroughly bored with the whole thing and didn't watch the funeral as I was doing some gardening instead.

Now I always get a bit annoyed when yet another programme about the subject comes on telly. But really I shoud try to remember what I originally thought - that it was a shame that two boys were robbed of their mother.

Melvil

As someone else said, we as a nation are pretty much forbidden to show our grief when something very bad happens...we are supposed to be upset for a little while and then pull ourselves up and get on with life.

Diana dying 'allowed' the nation to be upset and mourn in public and I think most people, if they looked deep down in their heart of hearts, weren't really crying for her, they were crying for all the people close to them that they'd lost. She's really a symbol of sadness, a marking post if you will.

Anyway, that's my ha'pennyworth.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
There was front page and page 2 coverage in the Bangkok Post and CNN are having special programmes. Enough is enough; the only other commoner's death we celebrate is Guy Fawkes - that's an idea, last Saturday in August have a 'Diana Day'; barbecue and bonfires, effigy optional!

ajevans

mr_hippo said:
... Enough is enough; the only other commoner's death we celebrate is Guy Fawkes - that's an idea, last Saturday in August have a 'Diana Day'; barbecue and bonfires, effigy optional!

We could celebrate the day by crying about things we don't really care about in a mawkish display of mass hysteria.

Mr Phoebus

ajevans said:
We could celebrate the day by crying about things we don't really care about in a mawkish display of mass hysteria.

F**k that!!!!! I'm off to have a listen to Candle in the Wind.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
She may have been admired by the nation's Lladro-collecting mawkish masses but she wasn't admired by people in some of the world's more conservative cultures. I once asked an African customer what he thought of her: his reply was not repeatable.

Oh well.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Chris James said:
After a couple of days I was thoroughly bored with the whole thing and didn't watch the funeral as I was doing some gardening instead.

I missed the wedding because I was out in the garden mowing the lawn!

And I think the term mawkish accurately describes the unseemly displays of emotion that accompanied the death ten years ago.

spen666

Legendary Member
Rigid Raider said:
Anybody marking the tenth anniversary of that woman's death?

Could I just point out to all those sad Diana worshippers- she's f*ck*ng dead. Decomposed. Rotted in her Box.

Now get a life and move on.

What difference does it make apart to those who actually knew her

Top Bottom