A new inner tube that cost more than most tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like reading about what the professional athletes use. I find it interesting. But on the other hand I ride a big lump of a steel bike with a rack. I don't see any contradiction there.
I'm sort of with you there; the problem is journos presenting the latest tech as a MUSTHAVE for the amateurs and hobbyists. It just grates too much!

Compare/contrast with motorsport - no-one is pretending that the latest flexible rear wing for Monza etc is relevant to ordinary Joe driver, but the technology is still interesting!

Ah but have you mastered the marmite with peanut butter sandwich? There's always something new to learn about!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
To be honest if I wasn't running tubeless I might ponder something like this or a Tubilito as a spare on my bike. The extra grams are really not that important, but the tiny packsize does appeal, however, the price of these things is off -putting

Ajax Bay

Guru
I do struggle to understand how an inner tube makes so much difference, unless this difference only really applies to super light road tyres that only last a few hundred miles
Struggle a bit harder, Ian, and not just for 'few hundred mile' light tyres. Significant benefit to use latex as opposed to butyl tubes. And the claims of the Tubolito S-Tubo Road ones are worth checking but:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/tubolito#tubolito-road
when it comes to TT's
Daughter was on Vittoria Corsa Speed-G2 TLR last year but moving to Hutchison Fusion TL (new super fast 'miles better than Galactik' version only available to teams) this year. Will help her get above 26mph for the 100, maybe.

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome: to the thread @tinywheels (which had only lasted 2 days until you managed a solstice to solstice leap).

Ajax Bay

Guru
Don't forget to inflate them with pure hydrogen, to maximise your marginal gains. Atmospheric air is just so heavy and uncompetitive!
But H2 will diffuse through a butyl tube at 4 times the rate than air, so regular top-ups would be required. Maybe these and tubolitos have a much lower permeability.
And for those who use those environmentally unfriendly CO2 canisters: when you make it home, deflate the tyre and fill with free air. Though, for the lowest permeability, the noble He would be best.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I bought a couple of Tubolito to try (at a good price). Haven't fitted them as yet. They really appeal as a spare as they take up so little room in the saddle pack. Will report back. Weight wise I need all the help I can get - given my leg muscles are bu88ered!

Top Bottom