A question about Jelly babies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
Actually, I've just realised no one has answered the question about them being a good source of quick-release energy? Anyone know?

Bunch of people from our office were on a 300 mile ride back to HQ for charity.
Up by Reading a driver stopped by the main group in traffic and said "is that one of your riders back there scrabbling about on the road picking up Jelly Babies?"
"Ah, that'll be Andy" was the unsurprised reply.

My mate, Andy, told me later that he was so knackered and hungry when he dropped his JB's, he couldn't think of doing without them... Including two that had been ran over!

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Actually, I've just realised no one has answered the question about them being a good source of quick-release energy? Anyone know?
I can actually give a serious reply here as my last ride of 45 miles was partly with a GP . I had done more laps of Richmond park than I intended to do and only had one bottle of water and no food on me . I had money and was told there are places to eat locally . I asked what was the best thing for a quick hit and jelly babies was the reply . This was to do with blood sugar levels though and not fuel to keep you going . Fuel to get you somewhere for real food was the way the conversation was heading .

That's the serious reply , I took that as take jelly babies with you and ride round the park like a mad man on a sugar hit . Add Coffee and go for it baby yeah !

Fifelad

Veteran
Let me tell you what a struggle I had getting them out the packet in my back pocket doing a sportive in the Cairngorms last month. Next time I will have them loose in my pocket ! Lol

Shaun

Founder
My mate, Andy, told me later that he was so knackered and hungry when he dropped his JB's, he couldn't think of doing without them... Including two that had been ran over!

Don't get me wrong, I like them - but, erm, not that much!!

Crunchy Jelly Babies anyone? :eek:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I discovered to the tune of half a bag, that opening jelly babies in front of clubmates is a bad idea! I barely saw one guy for most of a sunday run until we ended up tail end charlie together.

You know that thing you did as a kid when sharing things, you'd hold slightly tighter to restrict the amount the other kid gets. We were doing that at 25mph :laugh:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I once worked in Bassett's Jelly Baby nursery in Sheffield. The black ones were made from the bits that ended up on the floor, swept up, collected and then flavoured heavily to cover the original flavour. The challenge is trying to work out what the black ones dominant original flavour was.

Oh, and I'll have the spare green ones.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I take all the green and yellow ones out before I go for a ride so that I don't get nasty surprises when reaching in blind.

Last bag I had was coop's finest. Not as good as Bassett's, but half the price.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I take all the green and yellow ones out before I go for a ride so that I don't get nasty surprises when reaching in blind.

Last bag I had was coop's finest. Not as good as Bassett's, but half the price.

Want to swap some yellow ones for some white ones ?

Edit : Ive just looked in my bassetts jelly baby bag and there are no white ones :headshake:The Haribo bag ( now empty , apart from green ones ) had white ones in there . Im wondering if Haribo white is Bassetts yellow :unsure:

Top Bottom