A question for the ladies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inkd

Without coming across too sexist,
My wife and I popped into Decathlon today for a browse and to look at the kids bike for our son and my wife liked this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/fc-3-road-bike-black-id_8221749.html she said "is this the sort of bike you want next? Its nice isn't it"
Now, my next C2W scheme is going to be around nov/dec and I have been looking at a few options all around the £700 mark (I thought this was taking the pith) I haven't discussed prices with wifey yet, my last C2W was for £600 and she grumbled a little at first but is coming round to the cycling as I have stuck with it.
So, my question is this. Being a bloke and not quite understanding the subtleties of the female mind, does this mean I can go ahead with spending £850 ish for my next C2W ????

In the female mind buying a bike for £1000 would be ok as long as it was on sale.

Peteaud

Veteran
Spend what you like, just treat her to a spa day and all will be well.

She is at the spa, you collect bike.

For expensive bit of kit, pay for her mother or sister etc as well for extra brownie points.

compo

Veteran
You take her to the really expensive bikes first and let her see the 2 or 3 thousand pound bikes then gradually and casually meander over to the bikes you can afford and wait for her to comment that at least the prices seem more reasonable. At that point you're three quarters there!

RedFeend

If you spend £x on a non essential leisure item, then one's partner should have the option to spend the same amount on themselves. If you can't afford both at the same time then it is quite in order to agree terms, such as 'your turn in 6 months time', or whatever.
BUT I believe in fair play. She may say she doesn't mind, but not mean it and simmering resentment is VERY destructive. On the other hand, she might not mind.
Talk to her using open questions like How do you feel about......? to find out how she really feels. Don't just use closed questions like 'Do you mind?' Which result in a yes/no reply, and it pains me to say this as a woman, possible sulking.

PS Just so you know. My hubby can sulk for the UK or the EEC come to that. He also has no idea how much (£500) I just paid for my new bike.

RedFeend

If you spend £x on a non essential leisure item, then one's partner should have the option to spend the same amount on themselves. If you can't afford both at the same time then it is quite in order to agree terms, such as 'your turn in 6 months time', or whatever.
BUT I believe in fair play. She may say she doesn't mind, but not mean it and simmering resentment is VERY destructive. On the other hand, she might not mind.
Talk to her using open questions like How do you feel about......? to find out how she really feels. Don't just use closed questions like 'Do you mind?' Which result in a yes/no reply, and it pains me to say this as a woman, possible sulking.

PS Just so you know. My hubby can sulk for the UK or the EEC come to that. He also has no idea how much (£500) I just paid for my new bike.

RedFeend

never understood this permission thing, I have my money my wife has hers, we can spend what we like as long as the bills get paid
I've had similar 'discussions' before. In my view 'permission' does not come into it. I paid for my bike with 'my' money. For me a relationship has to be based on fair play. No more or less complicated than that.

OT. He does his own thing and never needs my permission for anything. I don't keep tabs on him either. I can't understand people who check their partners phones, pockets etc. Personally I could not live like that.

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

Many thanks for the replys, Im a simple man that lives on simple yes and no answers. I showed my wife my post and she giggled and said" you are funny" ??? so is that a yes? because it definitely wasn't a no.
As for permission im not under the thumb or anything and she has her fair share of handbags/mobile phones/ cameras etc. I haven't discussed prices of bikes with her as yet but yesterday was a "test the water" moment. I didn't want to take the mickey as we are jointly saving to replace our knackered car.
I will wait until the 2014 bikes are released then discuss the matter with her so I can get a plain "yes dear. that`s fine" answer.

Top Bottom