A question for the ladies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bicycles are totally self-funding :whistle: in terms of fuel you don't have to buy and physical and mental well-being.

So what is there to discuss ?

RedFeend

Many thanks for the replys, Im a simple man that lives on simple yes and no answers.
As for permission im not under the thumb or anything and she has her fair share of handbags/mobile phones/ cameras etc. I haven't discussed prices of bikes with her as yet but yesterday was a "test the water" moment. I didn't want to take the mickey as we are jointly saving to replace our knackered car.
If only life was as simple as 'yes/no'.
Anyway, seems like you and your wife are reasonable people. I'm sure you will choose your new bike and all will be well.
How about getting her one as well? Or maybe go for a tandem :-)

You seem to have a good relationship with your wife, and she does not sound like a simmering ball of resentment: you say you are a simple yes-no guy, then why are you playing games, treating her like a detective mystery rather than talking to her?

As for the "ladies" thing, it's really not about double-x. I work in an office, get paid more than my partner who works from home. I cycle commute, which does add a little travel time on my days, so he's often had little human contact until I get home after 8. We don't have any kids. I go for long rides on the weekend while he does his stuff. You'd be better off asking him what your wife meant. But they are both individuals.

When I want to know how he feels, I ask him.

Agree.
never understood this permission thing, I have my money my wife has hers, we can spend what we like as long as the bills get paid

My money is mine to spend how i like and so does my oH. I couldn't do the joint money thing it only causes arguments. Put money into a joint account for bills the rest is mine.

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

We discussed the expenses this morning and she agreed that its money well spent ie. petrol savings and exercise. My wife cant cycle to work yet as being an LSA in our kids school she takes them in with her, maybe when the kids have moved on to secondary school.
I couldn`t agree more with the joint account, just leads to arguments. We both have separate accounts and share the bills, I only raised the question as we are not well off and I didn't want to take the mick.
Many thx for the replys and for what its worth I have the go ahead for the full grand on C2W :thumbsup:

S1mon

I just buy it then tell the wife as long as all bills are paid and she gets a holiday I'm ok ( holiday to Mallorca cycling this year)

Cubist

Still wavin'
This reminds me of the now famous advert in Biketrader.
I'll have to paraphrase it in places but is was something like this:

For Sale. Absolutely mint Kawasaki ZXR 750 H2 in black red and anthracite. Very few summer miles, only owned it a coupls of weeks. Wife forces reluctant sale. Apparently the phrase "Just do what you f@cking like" doesn't mean what I thought it did.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
Two of my three bikes cost more than my partner's one bike. We keep our money separate apart from putting equal amounts into the joint account to cover bills and I have no idea what he earns or when he gets paid. Permission shouldn't come into it; I'm his equal, not his mother.

Cyclist33

You seem to have a good relationship with your wife, and she does not sound like a simmering ball of resentment: you say you are a simple yes-no guy, then why are you playing games, treating her like a detective mystery rather than talking to her?

As for the "ladies" thing, it's really not about double-x. I work in an office, get paid more than my partner who works from home. I cycle commute, which does add a little travel time on my days, so he's often had little human contact until I get home after 8. We don't have any kids. I go for long rides on the weekend while he does his stuff. You'd be better off asking him what your wife meant. But they are both individuals.

When I want to know how he feels, I ask him.

bet he hates it when you do.

Cyclist33

We discussed the expenses this morning and she agreed that its money well spent ie. petrol savings and exercise. My wife cant cycle to work yet as being an LSA in our kids school she takes them in with her, maybe when the kids have moved on to secondary school.
I couldn`t agree more with the joint account, just leads to arguments. We both have separate accounts and share the bills, I only raised the question as we are not well off and I didn't want to take the mick.
Many thx for the replys and for what its worth I have the go ahead for the full grand on C2W :thumbsup:

came late to the party but one solution wouldve been to restrict your budget to the 700 as actually it is self indulgent spending more.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Agree.

My money is mine to spend how i like and so does my oH. I couldn't do the joint money thing it only causes arguments. Put money into a joint account for bills the rest is mine.
Depends on the situation, i am the main earner as my wife can only work p/t due to health and kids so i bring home 5 times more than she does but it is all pretty much spoken for so its a common pot for everything so i f i need something like for instance bike is in the LBS for a repair then something else has to give .
Blooming kids always want to be fed and not wear binliners for some reason :huh:

Top Bottom