A second bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robz400

I'm well and truely hooked on this cycling malarky, and have done 80+ miles a week since I started and seem to spend most of my time looking at maps trying to find bigger hills!

I bought a Carrea Virtuoso 3 weeks ago and its great although I had to sell the idea to my wife.

My company has just started a bike to work scheme meaning I can get a decent road bike for not a lot of money, im thinking a Trek 1.7 or simalar :tongue::biggrin:

How the f**k am I supposed to sell this one to the wife???

Best idea wins a biscuit....

postman

Legendary Member
Oh dear.That is it,you have been sucked into the black void.You will never be satisfied with whatever bike you have.I have seen the same bike at Chevin Cycles here in Otley.But next to it was the Trek 1.9,drooling just thinking of it.A bargain at £1200?

Ivan Ardon

This one's easy, especially if she's not into bikes or cycling herself.

Get a Trek that's the same colour as your Carrera.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
robz400 said:
How the f**k am I supposed to sell this one to the wife???

Best idea wins a biscuit....

Easy, if she quibbles explain to her that she has 1 pair of shoes and 1 handbag etc for each outfit and accordingly you need a summer bike as well as a winter bike :smile:

byegad

Legendary Member
Sadly you are now into the N=n+1 range of bike ownership where N is ideal number of bikes and n is the number currently owned!

OP
OP
R

robz400

How much do you want for her?

At the moment I'd consider a straight swap, i warn you though, she's pregnant with our 2nd and is errr.. a little unbalanced!

Like the colour idea but she may notice the bike in the house when im out cycling!:smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Have you a garden shed... handy to hide things in, including new bikes.. women won't go in garden sheds.. due to spiders and bugs... (well my missus won't anyway)

wlc1

Tell her that by buying a new bike through the cycle to work scheme you will get a tax rebate at the end of the financial year.. just blind her with bullshit.

Good luck

beancounter

If you're a 40% tax payer your cycle scheme bike will cost you half the shop retail price and you pay for it interest free over a year.

I mean, you practically get it given to you.

(That's what I told SWMBO anyway).

bc

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Dare I ask whether this bike you plan to buy under the Cycle to Work scheme will actually be used for, hem hem, cycling to work? Because if so, it's surely a no-brainer - just point out the massive yearly savings you and mrs robz and the little robz's will be enjoying thanks to your heroic and manly efforts...

Chocolate Digestive please. Milk.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
[quote name='swee'pea99']Dare I ask whether this bike you plan to buy under the Cycle to Work scheme will actually be used for, hem hem, cycling to work? Because if so, it's surely a no-brainer - just point out the massive yearly savings you and mrs robz and the little robz's will be enjoying thanks to your heroic and manly efforts...

Chocolate Digestive please. Milk.[/quote]

I assume you missed this bit in the OP:
"I bought a Carrea Virtuoso 3 weeks ago and its great"

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Are you saying i don't deserve my biscuit?!

Just tell her the Virtuoso isn't quite right for the commute - more of a fun bike - the Trek should still pay for itself in a year, no?

OP
OP
R

robz400

Ok I thought i'd test the water with this one....:smile:

I mentioned mid conversation about the scheme and the practically free bike my employers are forcing upon me, it went something like this:

Me "Its practically free"

her "but you've already got a bike"

Me "yes but this one is much better"

Her "So"

Me "You could have my old one" (thought I'd cracked it here)

her (increasing loud voice) "How can you call it your old one, you've had it 3 weeks!, and besides when am I going to get the time to ride a bike, in case you haddened noticed im pregnant and trying to look after Harvey (the boy) and clean the house and...............................................etc etc"

Me - yes i'll cook dinner and bath the baby when i get home:sad:

Think this is going to need some work

Top Bottom