A simple question: Do you wear a helmet?

Do you wear a bicycle helmet when riding your bicycle?

• Never

Votes: 49 18.5%
  • Very rarely

Votes: 23 8.7%
  • Rarely

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • About half the time

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 21 7.9%
  • Almost all of the time

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • Always

Votes: 100 37.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Almost always, tend not to if I'm only popping down to the shops.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I bought one in 2010 so I could take part in the Brompton World Championships that year.

Haven't used it since until recently, when I've worn it to go offroading at Fowlmead. They have signs everywhere insisting that all cyclists wear a helmet*, though there's no enforcement and I see plenty of people riding round there with no helmet. However, I like riding there and I don't want to risk being thrown out for the sake of not wearing a helmet. Plus I would probably wear a helmet for riding off road anyway.

Basically, I never wear a helmet out of choice when riding on the road, but I'll wear one when I'm specifically required to. My love of riding my bike outweighs my natural inclination to stubbornly refuse to play by Their rules.

d.

*Essentially an arse-covering/insurance-compliance exercise following an incident in which an unhelmeted rider suffered a head injury, caused by his own dangerous behaviour.

bobcat

No, but I am doing up an old road bike and it has crossed my mind that I may when it is ready for to go ( just for peace of mind).

Pretty evenly split about now ...

Never 14 vote(s) 25.9%
Very rarely 6 vote(s) 11.1%
Rarely 3 vote(s) 5.6%
About half the time 5 vote(s) 9.3%
Most of the time 4 vote(s) 7.4%
Almost all of the time 9 vote(s) 16.7%
Always 14 vote(s) 25.9%

Is there such a thing as an inverse normal distribution?

Mountain biking or track cycling. I keep telling myself I'll wear one if it's icy but my route to work doesn't really suffer from ice.
I started wearing mine the other week when it was icy.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
To all intents never. Certainly not for commuting on the B or longer rides whether road tours or on trails by MTB.

I do own one and wore it for the urban part of the L2B where the risk of an slow off was far higher than normal.

HovR

Über Member
No it doesn't. There are no adult mandatory helmet laws in any state in the USA.

Well I was just going by what I was told by family who live there. Anyway, the point was that I will wear a helmet when I have to - This isn't a thread about US state law. ;)

Well I was just going by what I was told by family who live there. Anyway, the point was that I will wear a helmet when I have to - This isn't a thread about US state law. ;)

Agreed but just trying to avoid the passing on of misleading information that might lead others to have the same misunderstanding you did.

Looking at the comments in this thread, except for those who wear helmets or never wear all the time the poll I would suggest would not give the true picture. The wearing of helmets are driven by needs/situations.

Maybe for the remaining 48%, the poll should aim to identify the main reason for not wearing or wearing helmets.

The poll however suggest that the divide is 3 ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom