A simple question: Do you wear a helmet?

Do you wear a bicycle helmet when riding your bicycle?

• Never

Votes: 49 18.5%
  • Very rarely

Votes: 23 8.7%
  • Rarely

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • About half the time

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 21 7.9%
  • Almost all of the time

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • Always

Votes: 100 37.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
As the question is 'Do you wear a bicycle helmet when riding your bicycle?', I truthfully answered never. I have, however, worn a helmet whilst riding a borrowed mountain bike (mandated on a work cycling event) and also whilst riding hired track bikes (mandated, reasonably, by the velodrome.) I also don't wear a unicycle helmet when riding a unicycle.
:huh:

Bokonon

Über Member
Why ':huh:'? I answered the question!

fimm

Veteran
Answered "always" though once in a blue moon I pluck up the courage to go out without one - influenced by the arguements I've read here and elsewhere. I'd like to wear mine less, but I reckon it protects me from criticism and from being told that the broken leg caused by the left-hooking motorist on their mobile phone is entirely my fault because my lack of head covering rendered me completely invisible.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Answered "always" though once in a blue moon I pluck up the courage to go out without one - influenced by the arguements I've read here and elsewhere. I'd like to wear mine less, but I reckon it protects me from criticism and from being told that the broken leg caused by the left-hooking motorist on their mobile phone is entirely my fault because my lack of head covering rendered me completely invisible.

When I stopped wearing one for Sunday morning club runs, I initially had to put up with a lot of stick from one particular club member, but since this thread is just asking "yes or no?" and not "why?", I won't tell you what my reply to him was. Besides, it would probably have to be censored.

d.

Paul J

I am old school and have never worn one. Must admit I have hit the kerb rather hard when I was a lot younger.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
The OP;

Not a thread for debate of pros and cons.

Though it would be interesting to know if you wear one only on the mountain bike or only when participating in organized events which require them. Do you have more than one helmet? Different helmets for different bikes? Only wear one when out with the kids?

Facts only please.

My italics.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I always wear a helmet but only because it was a ridiculously expensive Yakkay one and I feel like I need to get my moneys worth from it and it stops my boyfriend nagging at me.In thinking about it though, technically I don't always wear it during the summer as my sunglasses don't fit around the straps properly so the sun comes out, the helmet comes off and the shades go on.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
I always wear a helmet but only because it was a ridiculously expensive Yakkay one and I feel like I need to get my moneys worth from it and it stops my boyfriend nagging at me.In thinking about it though, technically I don't always wear it during the summer as my sunglasses don't fit around the straps properly so the sun comes out, the helmet comes off and the shades go on.

So, in fact, you don't always wear a helmet. I sincerely hope that this fact is represented accurately in your Poll vote. :rolleyes:

Sara_H

Guru
I've recently given up my helmet after a lot of research and thought. I feel that the cons outweigh the pro's.

I have kept my helmet, me and the OH are taking up mountain biking in the spring, so I think I'll start off with a helmet, as I guess I'm more likely to come off and bonk my head.

Funnily enough, I got told off by the coach at my sons cycle speedway training this morning for arriving without a helmet - said it was his official duty to do so as he was on official coaching buisness. Looked a bit gob smacked when I started to explain my rationale!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Voted for almost always.

I used not to wear a helmet despite chivvying from friends and family about getting one. Then a friend said he'd get me a pink one if I didn't get one myself so I thought I'd humour everyone. Now it just doesn't feel right without it.

I was very glad to have it when I came off last September (stick through the front spokes, complete freak accident) as the helmet skidded along the ground rather than my forehead. To me, that alone made it worth having one.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
always.
when i read the article where the judge reduced the payout to a cyclist as it was considered to be contributary negligence and when the solicitor asked me if i was wearing a helmet aftermy pothole incident even though my head was not injured.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I don'
Pretty evenly split about now ...

Never 14 vote(s) 25.9%
Very rarely 6 vote(s) 11.1%
Rarely 3 vote(s) 5.6%
About half the time 5 vote(s) 9.3%
Most of the time 4 vote(s) 7.4%
Almost all of the time 9 vote(s) 16.7%
Always 14 vote(s) 25.9%

Is there such a thing as an inverse normal distribution?
I don't see the box for "Mind your own business!"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom