A simple task made tricky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
You've answered your own observation, and I would think it's pretty common in all walks of life. I did notice it myself whilst cycling the canal route in to Birmingham city centre, which had very narrow paths through some of the tunnels. I was a bit wary just in case I bounced of the wall and into the canal. :eek:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4894081, member: 43827"]The narrow 'cycle path" on the "Do you think this is real" thread got me thinking about perception making some cycling tasks more tricky.

For example on the road I think I ride a very straight line with little or no wavering, and on the mtb I easily ride very narrow single-tracks without touching the edges. Today, riding on a longish narrow, dark track under a canal bridge, bounded by railings on the canal side and the bridge wall, there was plenty of room, probably a foot on either side of the handlebar, but for some reason I was wobbling like a weeble all along it and struggled not to hit the sides.

I suppose it's similar to balance walking. Ask someone to walk along a four inch beam just a couple of inches above the floor and they will probably do it easily. Raise it by four feet and it suddenly becomes a more difficult task.[/QUOTE]
Actually I find weaving to be useful on busy roads, if I just ride arrow straight I get a few pillocks almost brushing my elbow as they pass but a bit of a wobble/swerve to the line and they seem to give me more room.

Lycra-clad, be-helmeted riders with hi-viz on report the same phenomena.

Top Bottom