A thread for garmin problems you've fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
if you have updated your maps with third party maps you may have a large file, when a large update is needed it may not work and tell you there is not enough room to update, temporary remove the large file to another location on your computer, when the update is finished replace the file.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

If you have issues with some turns not being cued on your route try using a different mapping software. You can check before you do your route by (on the 810) loading your course and then when it's finished calculating and acquiring satellites, if you touch the top of the map all of the course cues/turns are displayed. you can go through these individually to ensure all the turns you've mapped are cued. Clicking on each turn should display the turn on the map.

In theory you can add cuepoints to your route, in practise I've found this to be hit and miss. The route must be downloaded as .tcx file but the coursepoints don't warn they just display on the map. So if you created one saying, cafe, you will see it on the map but not get a warning about it.

Lpoolck

Veteran
My Edge 1000 at random times will display "touchscreen locked" and I am unable to do anything unless I stop my ride and start it again. Does anyone know how to disable the touchscreen lock feature?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How to calibrate an Edge Touring Plus altimeter.

The manual doesn't say anything of any real use.

This Garmin link says
To calibrate the elevation manually on Edge Touring Plus:
Touch Mark Location
Touch Change Elevation

In addtion to this Garmin Support told me:

Every time you visit a location you have marked and inputted the elevation the device should calibrate to that location without having to be inputted again.

So you just need to establish some waypoints that you regularly pass, with known elevations, and it should (theoretically) auto-calibrate itself.

Then in that case. Wouldn't it be a good idea to calibrate from your home so that when you leave for a ride it's all set.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This what I do ... except ... there are times when it resolutely refuses to pick up satellites for a good 5 minutes, so it misses my home one. Even on a good day it often isn't awake by the time I've left. So I've added some extra points on my regular routes in the hope that these will work if the first one doesn't.

aha good call.
Luckily where I live, which is on a ridge. I do seem to pick up satellites very quickly with the Touring.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My Garmin 705 stopped uploading rides to Strava. I reset it, and after that failed to sort the issue, I uninstalled/reinstalled Garmin Express on my laptop. Still no joy.
Then, for no known reason, it started to sync properly again.
The only problem still happening is on the screenie below.

screenie.png

Is 'current.gpx' the ride I've just done and uploaded?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I delete it manually, as suggested, but next time I upload a ride, back pops the applet.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Ah, I see. I don't know the 705 so hopefully someone who does may see this but I did find this

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-...ion-gpx-files-disappeared-from-current-folder

Which tends to suggest it's something to do with tracks not activities.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

For all current Edge810 owners the software has been updated to 6.3 which fixes any crashes at the beginning end of the ride when following a course. I'm hopeful this will actually work as that was something that occasionally happened to mine.

I have an Etrex 20. Despite the steep learning curve (with sod all help from Garmin) and its several oddities I find it generally wonderful and have no intention of going "upmarket" to touchscreen, built in battery, something that tells me how much blood per minute is pumping through my big left toe at various cadences,

But, every now and again (maybe 3 times in all the years I have had it) it appears to lose all the routes and waypoints stored on it.

I think this has usually happened after an irregular shutdown, maybe when a battery power problem hit it in mid boot-up or whatever.

But panic not.

If you connect the Etrex 20 to a PC (or in my case now a chromebook) you will usually see that all the things are actually still on the unit - it's just that the Etrex can't see them.

From my experience of a few bits of computer kit like this I assume that it is just an indexing problem.

So:

Just connect the Garmin to the laptop.

Find waypoints files on garmin internal memory.

Move them off temporarily.

Reboot and then switch off the garmin (this stage may not be necessary but belt and braces and it is reassuring to see that it still boots at this stage)

Reconnect Garmin to laptop and move the self same waypoint files to where they were before.

Unplug Garmin from laptop and boot it up.

All routes and waypoints should be visible again.

A particularly useful solution since of course you aren't restoring from a separate backup but from what's already sat in the thing. So as long as you can grab accesss to a PC or whatever (an android tab with OTG would work) you can use this fix on tour.

Top Bottom