A thread for garmin problems you've fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you, funnily enough that is more or less exactly what made me give up on the thing. Having made sure the routes were all there, via my PC at home, I took the Garmin on holiday full of confidence that I could rely on it. But when I switched it on it wouldn't show me anything useful. As technology goes, that is worse than useless as far as I'm concerned, as I don't trust it to work. So, basically, I wasted over a hundred quid.
Solution above thanks to the OPs great thread start.

Mile195

Veteran
Garmin Edge 1000: the "2019 bug". Fixing files so Strava will accept them:

This is where rides are marked with a date, often in April 2019, which causes the strava upload to fail. Garmin will almost certainly never fix this problem - they already have your money, and a new model out now for you to buy instead...

Anyway, that aside sometimes you can fix the time errors using the "fit file tools" link in the strava support section. However, sometimes even this won't fix the corrupt data - now it feels like that ride is lost forever.... but it's not:

If you find this happens, use the same set of tools, but instead of "fix corrupt time data", choose to amend the start time of the ride. You can even amend it to the same time as it already was, but it seems to re-generate the time data in such a way that Strava will now accept the new file.

So not so much a "fix" as a "fudge", but at least you won't get cheated out of any miles as far as your Strava followers are converned!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Edge 500 suddenly refused to communicate with my laptop, although it had done for the last three years. Charge yes: Transfer data no.
Tried a couple of other apparently similar cables from my electrical wires box, but no luck. It would still charge, but would not recognise the device. Downloaded the latest software from Garmin, but would still only charge.
Discovered by accident that my TomTom satnav had a similar cable. Tried that and lo and behold Garmin will now transfer data.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

If you haven't used your Garmin for a long time due to illness, injury or laziness and you plan to use it on the turbo with the GPS off, let it get a gps fix first, otherwise it will assign the last date and time to the activity that it had a fix and then you'll wonder why the activity hasn't synced and spend half an hour looking for it, only to find it in the past! Don't ask me how I know this.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A 64s that wouldn't hold satellite locks, shortly after going out of warranty.
At start-up the satellites showed good signals, but it mostly wouldn't lock on, and if it did it would lose the lock just down the road. The recommended factory reset didn't help.

Fixed by turning Glonass off (i.e. GPS+Glonass --> GPS only).
I've not tried turning Glonass back on to see if it was a temporary blip.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Edge 500 suddenly refused to communicate with my laptop, although it had done for the last three years. Charge yes: Transfer data no.
Tried a couple of other apparently similar cables from my electrical wires box, but no luck. It would still charge, but would not recognise the device. Downloaded the latest software from Garmin, but would still only charge.
Discovered by accident that my TomTom satnav had a similar cable. Tried that and lo and behold Garmin will now transfer data.
My cousin gave me his old Edge 500 and I had the same problem with one cable. A new cable sorted it out.

I have since found that the connection has become a bit unreliable. Often when I plug the cable in to recharge the device I get a beeping noise after a minute or two and a message flashes up saying that power has been lost. A bodge fix for that has been to use an elastic band to pull the plug tight against the socket so it can't wiggle loose.

I still haven't managed to get the Edge 500 to navigate courses reliably. I have tried all of the potential fixes that I found online (> a minimum distance between route points and < a maximum distance; splitting longer courses (routes) into shorter segments; zooming out to a broader view; reverting to earlier versions of firmware...). They made some improvement but the navigation line on the device's screen would still occasionally disappear and an 'off course' message appear. On long courses the 500 sometimes just froze. These days I just use my old Etrex for navigation and keep the 500 for ride stats.

The Etrex has been extremely reliable for 13 years. The one thing that did seriously confuse it was to set off on a long ride before it had locked on to the satellite signals whereupon it got my position wrong by tens of kms. That time I stopped and restarted the device. Once it had a good lock I had no further problems. After that, I always waited for a signal lock before starting to move.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I still haven't managed to get the Edge 500 to navigate courses reliably. I have tried all of the potential fixes that I found online (> a minimum distance between route points and < a maximum distance; splitting longer courses (routes) into shorter segments; zooming out to a broader view; reverting to earlier versions of firmware...). They made some improvement but the navigation line on the device's screen would still occasionally disappear and an 'off course' message appear. On long courses the 500 sometimes just froze. These days I just use my old Etrex for navigation and keep the 500 for ride stats.

The 500 was well known for its navigation problems with the mapping/routing/breadcrumb trial. There were a good few threads on the Garmin forum about the routing and the fact Garmin never issued a fix for the bug. In the end I gave up on the 500, sold it and went back to the far more reliable 200 which has never let me down with the routing.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Problems with mapping on Etrex models are often related to a poorly seated SD card which is easy to disturb and slightly dislodge when changing batteries with gloves on in the dark/cold/rain.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[Slighlty tongue in cheek] After various zip-tied and Velcro-ed Anker external battery bodges I finally solved the problem of (relatively) short battery life on my Edge Touring by...

...going back to using my Etrex 20.

Problems with mapping on Etrex models are often related to a poorly seated SD card which is easy to disturb and slightly dislodge when changing batteries with gloves on in the dark/cold/rain.
True.

It's also quite easy to actually lose the SD card in the street when changing batteries :smile: - that's why my (generally wonderful) Etrex 20 has a small bit of duct tape across the card holder.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[Slighlty tongue in cheek] After various zip-tied and Velcro-ed Anker external battery bodges I finally solved the problem of (relatively) short battery life on my Edge Touring by...

Yet my Garmin Edge Touring battery life is excellent. It will last a good 12 hours and more.
Garmins are funny things.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I would consider replacing the battery or sending it to someone who advertises they can do it. I did the battery in my fr305 which was down to lasting 20 minutes. Back up to 10hrs after replacement. In case you haven't, I would look at the display settings, brightness has a massive effect on life.

I would consider replacing the battery or sending it to someone who advertises they can do it. I did the battery in my fr305 which was down to lasting 20 minutes. Back up to 10hrs after replacement. In case you haven't, I would look at the display settings, brightness has a massive effect on life.
out of interest how much did it cost to replace the battery?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The 500 was well known for its navigation problems with the mapping/routing/breadcrumb trial. There were a good few threads on the Garmin forum about the routing and the fact Garmin never issued a fix for the bug. In the end I gave up on the 500, sold it and went back to the far more reliable 200 which has never let me down with the routing.
I know a few people who use a 200 and they have no problems either.

It seemed strange that Garmin had been quite capable of designing some reliable GPS products but others have been notoriously unreliable. Somebody suggested to me that it was because of business takeovers/mergers resulting in different electronic engineers coming in and others leaving the company. I wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with it.

Top Bottom