A thread for garmin problems you've fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Perhaps it can develop into a useful resource for those of us with Garmins, so would prefer it not to descend into a garmin vs.....whatever thread.

So far Garmin support has not managed to solve a single issue I've had, so here are the problems I've solved myself.

This is for an Edge810.
  • Garmin initially crashed on save when I first tested it. A reset and a software update did solve this
  • Garmin's Android Connect did not work on my phone. Updating Android Web View solved this
  • Garmin stopped working with navigation completely after becoming increasingly unreliable. A hard reset (Garmin supports stock answer), briefly got it working unreliably and it kept crashing before giving up completely and stopping Livetrack working as well. After some head scratching I reformatted the SD card and re-loaded the Openstreetmaps and everything sprung back into life
A word on maps: I've used several different versions of Openstreetmaps and each one gives slightly different navigation cues. I'm currently using these, the generic routable and the generic routable new style with both enabled. I've also used the talkytoaster ones but they gave me some odd cues so I've taken them off while I investigate that further. On another card I have an old version of Garmin's City navigator maps. They work but sometimes give odd cues as well, so Openstreetmaps remains my stock mapping, even though it's far from perfect. I load routes via ridewithgps which I've found to be the most reliable.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have a garmin 200 and although it works well when on a ride, it doesn't load up on garmin express Got it touch with garmin support on live chat and all went well until I got cut off from the expert as I was too slow to follow his guidance, he got fed up with waiting as I am no expert on computers. So, since December 31st 2016, all the rides I have done are saved on Garmin 200 but not on Garmin Express. Very frustrating and I am not contacting live chat again.

I have a garmin 200 and although it works well when on a ride, it doesn't load up on garmin express Got it touch with garmin support on live chat and all went well until I got cut off from the expert as I was too slow to follow his guidance, he got fed up with waiting as I am no expert on computers. So, since December 31st 2016, all the rides I have done are saved on Garmin 200 but not on Garmin Express. Very frustrating and I am not contacting live chat again.
I had exactly the same experience.

I put it down to Windows 10 not wanting to play.

I never fixed it (and I am pretty tech. savvy) but I was fed up of the Garmin as a toy anyway so I gave it away.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Try this
https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/PsxSBlFqTL57tN38aI6m29

Drago

Legendary Member

It's a right royal PITA but you can copy the files from the Garmin to your PC, and then manually upload them into Garmin Express, strava, or whatever.

Venod

Eh up
The rubber cover on the recharging port at the back of the 520 is held with a screw and pivots out of the way on a thin bit of rubber, this thin bit broke so I put the screw through the main rubber, cover its been fine since.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When an Edge Touring Plus* is powered off half way through a ride, when you power it on again it offers you "save" and "discard" as options. If you want to do neither (ie carry on recording) then press the start/pause button.

Thanks to the CC'ers who tipped me off about this.

* May apply to other Edge models.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

When an Edge Touring Plus* is powered off half way through a ride, when you power it on again it offers you "save" and "discard" as options. If you want to do neither (ie carry on recording) then press the start/pause button.

Thanks to the CC'ers who tipped me off about this.

* May apply to other Edge models.
It does but it may well screw up your elevation data if you do it. Especially if you switch it off for a pub stop

upload_2017-9-13_17-0-34.png

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
My 520 got stuck in an 'endless validation' trying to update to new firmware. Through Googling i found out that i needed to power the device off, plug it into my pc and delete a file called 'gupdate.gcd' before restarting again and syncing it though the garmin app to install the update

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My top Garmin problem is people wittering on about Garmin problems. So far I've tried to fix it by persuading people to try OSMand~ on their phones, but it's not solved them all yet. ;)

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Or did you just ride over a cliff after leaving the pub?

(Actually when I have this problem it's because the device has switched itself off. I actually try not to do it at all)
It felt like I was cycling up a cliff after the pub!

And you've reminded me, I've used this site to join two rides after the unit switched itself off and this site to repair corrupted files

Top Bottom