A30 - Do NOT use it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We did Lejog a while back - I'd agree with staying off the A30. We did it in 9 days, and at the time I was up for using it, but there are some really lovely country roads round Devon and Cornwall, and if you've got a decent GPS that gives you some turn by turn navigation, then you can get through them without having to check the map every turning... tbh, you're missing out if you take the A30.

lejogger

Guru
We did Lejog a while back - I'd agree with staying off the A30. We did it in 9 days, and at the time I was up for using it, but there are some really lovely country roads round Devon and Cornwall, and if you've got a decent GPS that gives you some turn by turn navigation, then you can get through them without having to check the map every turning... tbh, you're missing out if you take the A30.
Yebbut... if you want to make good progress, then... https://app.strava.com/activities/139546875

lejogger

Guru
Very good work lejogger that was very quick... but when I did it I spent more time on the bike.... who's the real winner!? :bicycle:
Touché ^_^
It's a hard leg of the tour... incredibly lumpy, as you know. I was happy to get it out of the way and spend more time up in the rest of England and Scotland to be honest. I was also much fresher on day 2 than if I'd spent 8 hours in the saddle.
Each to their own. It's not pleasant but it shouldn't be avoided at all costs. :okay:

OP
OP
Brains

Brains

Legendary Member
As the A30 subject has come up again, time to resurrect an old thread.
Bottom line still remains, the A30 is not an option on LEJOG routing

bianchi1

Guru
A good resurrection. When I did my JOGLE, I lasted about a mile on this road before feeling so unsafe I gave up, climbed up the verge and across a field to a lovely country road.

The issue if I remember correctly is the complete lack of any hard shoulder.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
I drive this road weekly from Camborne to Exeter and up to a few years ago weekly from Penzance to Exeter.

I wouldn't ride a bike on it. :sad:

keithmac

Guru
I can see the appeal if Strava is you main concern.

I wouldn't go anywhere near it on a bike (personal choice).

When driving I give plenty of room when passing cycles but doing follow through the mirrors the cars behind don't always offer the same courtesy.

It's the closing speed that's the biggest issue, you have to hope the vehicle has seen you in time and reacted to your presence. Sadly many don't have either the skill, observation or concentration to do so.

You are putting your life in the hands of the hundred or so cars that are passing you, hoping every driver is skilled and switched on enough to perform a safe pass..

ChrisEyles

Guru
The A30 is horrendous!!! Even when I used to ride a small motorbike (a 125cc) I didn't feel very safe, let alone on a push bike!

The *old* A30 on the other hand is really quite a nice route from Exeter to Okehampton, I ride it fairly often to visit friends.

jay clock

Massive member
The A30 is horrendous!!! Even when I used to ride a small motorbike (a 125cc) I didn't feel very safe, let alone on a push bike!

The *old* A30 on the other hand is really quite a nice route from Exeter to Okehampton, I ride it fairly often to visit friends.
I have also done the old A30 and an excellent and empty road.

Worth noting that if you ask Google Maps for a LEJOG route - which I'm sure people do - then it routes you up the A30 for the fiveish miles before Zelah.

It's the single-carriageway missing link section, so not as lethal as the dual carriageway, but even then there's not a cat in hell's chance I'd personally use it... and by definition people who plan their cycling with Google Maps are probably less knowledgeable and confident cyclists.

other route-planning websites are available :smile:

fossala

Guru
Worth noting that if you ask Google Maps for a LEJOG route - which I'm sure people do - then it routes you up the A30 for the fiveish miles before Zelah.

It's the single-carriageway missing link section, so not as lethal as the dual carriageway, but even then there's not a cat in hell's chance I'd personally use it... and by definition people who plan their cycling with Google Maps are probably less knowledgeable and confident cyclists.

other route-planning websites are available :smile:
Zelah is a pain. I turned down a job because the commute would be too far unless I used the A30.

Top Bottom